Interesting Facts about Space

by Emily Austin

A fast-paced, hilarious, and ultimately hopeful novel for anyone who has ever worried they might be a terrible person--from the bestselling author of Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead. Enid is obsessed with space. She can tell you all about black holes and their ability to spaghettify you without batting an eye in fear. Her one major phobia? Bald men. But she tries to keep that one under wraps. When she's not listening to her favorite true crime podcasts on a loop, she's serially dating a rotation of women from dating apps. At the same time, she's trying to forge a new relationship with her estranged half-sisters after the death of her absent father. When she unwittingly plunges into her first serious romantic entanglement, Enid starts to believe that someone is following her. As her paranoia spirals out of control, Enid must contend with her mounting suspicion that something is seriously wrong with her. Because at the end of the day there's only one person she can't outrun--herself. Brimming with quirky humor, charm, and heart, Interesting Facts about Space effortlessly shows us the power of revealing our secret shames, the most beautifully human parts of us all.… (more)

There's a lot for a millennial to love here. Childhood trauma and mental illness and messy relationships. The fear of being a bad person deep down ruins pretty much everything in the main character's life, and then there's the horrible phenomenon that is bald men.
I wish the space facts had been more interesting. And more of them. ( )
  KallieGrace | May 8, 2024 |
This was an impulse choice at the library that I initially categorized as "fluff" but as I continued, I appreciated the very real issues it presented and the way that they resolved. It's quite a different book, but one that I now will recommend for a change of pace read.. ( )
  ReluctantTechie | May 2, 2024 |
3.5 Stars ( )
  moonlit.shelves | Apr 9, 2024 |
Enid knows that she is not like most people — she listens to true crime podcasts and regurgitates odd facts about outer space to soothe herself — but lately things are spiraling out of control; she’s serial dating, messing up at work, and her phobia of bald men has reached epic proportions. In Interesting Facts About Space by Emily Austin, readers have a front row seat to Enid’s mania, but Austin manages to make all the insanity funny and touching. Austin knows how to craft real characters struggling with life, and readers looking for a quirky story about a young woman working through her anxieties and finding herself again will enjoy getting to know Enid. ( )
  Hccpsk | Mar 31, 2024 |
bottom line, we love authors named Emily. they are just the best at writing characters who are REAL! i ate this book up and finished it in 2 days. this book was intoxicating and intense and bizarre and at points i felt anxious reading it, but not in a way where i wanted to stop reading. just the way Emily R. Austin wrote about Enid being terrified of being stalked by her bald neighbor and her phobia of bald men thus becoming extremely paranoid in her daily life. i FELT what she was going through because the writing is that good. i enjoyed the commentary on the true crime obsession and how it can be problematic while also being something that many people find comfort in listening to for a many reasons. this book is very strange and very real and very dark and very fun all at once. it really has it all and more: laughs! lesbians! deaf/HoH representation! space! friendship! mommy/daddy issues! ( )
  Ellen-Simon | Mar 20, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,040,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible