Asta's Book (1993)

by Barbara Vine

8532021,013 (3.99)33
It is 1905. Asta and her husband Rasmus have come to East London from Denmark with their two little boys. With Rasmus constantly away on business, Asta keeps loneliness and isolation at bay by writing a diary. These diaries, published over seventy years later, reveal themselves to be more than a mere journal. For they seem to hold the key to an unsolved murder and to the mystery of a missing child. It falls to Asta's granddaughter Ann to unearth the buried secrets of nearly a century before.… (more)

English (17)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
This is a book I recommended to many others. I really liked it. ( )
  robertadianne | Oct 13, 2017 |
I didn't particularly like Anna but it was an interesting story although I had some trouble following the point of telling the Roper tale in the middle = it eventually all made some sense, but was a bit of a distraction. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Jul 27, 2017 |
Een ingewikkeld boek met veel familieverhoudingen. Erg goed geschreven! Ik moest er een stamboom bij tekenen om te snappen hoe het in elkaar zat. ( )
  elsmvst | Aug 4, 2016 |
I remember this read being excellent. ( )
1 vote Bookish59 | Aug 22, 2015 |
Interesting, but a little slow. The mystery takes a while to develop. Lots of character development. ( )
1 vote bgknighton | Dec 18, 2014 |
This is an engrossing double-detective story, a mixture of biography, true crime and romance peopled with vivid minor players and red with herrings.

Vine, Barbaraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orth-Guttmann, RenateTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, HarrietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

detebe (22824)
Meine Grosseltern, Anna Larsson und Mads Kruse, zum Gedächtnis
When I went out this morning a woman asked me if there were polar bears in the streets of Copenhagen.
The U.S. title of the book is Anna's Book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,874,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible