The Wings of the Dove (1902)

by Henry James

Confronting a Bronzino portrait in an English country house, a young American heiress comes face to face with her own predicament. For Milly Theale, who seems to have the world before her and at her feet, is fatally ill. Eager for life, eager for love, she embarks on her European adventure, warming to the admiration of her new friends Kate Croy and Merton Densher. But Merton and Kate are secretly engaged, and come to see in this angel with a thumping bank account as a solution to their own problems. For the remarkable Kate, scheming, passionate, poetic, also wants to live...This edition of James's poignant and dramatic novel is based on the revised New York Edition. The cover pictures the Bronzino portrait which is the focus of the key scene in the book.… (more)

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
plot to marry dying rich girl backfires on lovers
  ritaer | Jun 4, 2021 |
The plot is fascinating. A young couple, Kate & Merton, want to marry but don’t have the money. Enter a rich American heiress, Milly, who falls in love with Merton. Kate realizes Milly is dying and wants Merton to woo her so she will leave her money to him. What follows is complicated by human emotions, guilt, and a trip to Venice. Unfortunately I think James was too long-winded in this one. It lost its emotional punch in a deluge of banal observations. ( )
  bookworm12 | Sep 14, 2020 |
3* for this audiobook edition; 2.5* for the book itself

I find Henry James a frustrating author - his topics and time period are those that I relish yet I don't like his books. This book, for example, had all the makings of a great story but it bored me when it didn't anger me. I thought up several possible ending for the story only to find that the actual conclusion was dull and predictable. I have heard James praised for his female characters but, to me, they were all objectionable in one way or another. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 5, 2020 |
Enjoyable Henry James fare, Americans in Europe. ( )
  brakketh | May 25, 2019 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bannister, PhilipIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bayley, Johnsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blackmur, R.P.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bloom, AmyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dupee, F. W.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Bruce L. R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She waited, Kate Croy, for her father to come in, but he kept her unconscionably, and there were moments at which she showed herself, in the glass over the mantel, a face postiively pale with the irritation that had brought her to the point of going away without the sight of him.
"She fixed upon me herself, settled on me with her wonderful gilded claws."

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441283, 0141199849

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,319,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible