On the Marble Cliffs by Ernst Jünger

On the Marble Cliffs (1939)

by Ernst Jünger

English (6)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Second best book this year ( )
  billt568 | Sep 5, 2017 |
It took me a while to grasp what On The Marble Cliffs is, but finally I realized that it's a fantasy novel without any of the genre's usual trappings. Two botanists live in peaceful isolation on the titular cliffs, surrounded by the wonders of nature in both plant and animal form. Below them, though, dark powers are stirring and eventually the forces of good must take up arms against the spreading evil.

I found this to be an interesting addition to the fantasy genre, with its separation of lands and factions done without relying on the cliches of knights or magic. When a car appears it is a jarring occurrence, as the rest of the world seems trapped in a nebulous period of the past that predates such technology.

I'm sure the book was rife with political and/or historical symbolism that I didn't catch, but the story (such as it is) stands even without it. It's not great by any means, but a curiosity to be sure. Not quite like any other book I've read, for better or worse. ( )
  BayardUS | Dec 10, 2014 |
Second best book this year ( )
  William-Tucker | Jun 29, 2014 |
sort of.. no... entirely strange fable of... well.. something. I certainly liked it, thogughas far as mea culpas for fascism go it was un fulfilling ( )
  romanccm | Jun 25, 2014 |

Ernst Jüngerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ajvaz, MichalTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hardewijk, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ipema, JanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gij allen kent de wilde zwaarmoedigheid die ons bevangt bij de herinnering aan gelukkiger dagen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,482,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible