Gold Unicorn by Tanith Lee

What ages would I recommend it too? Twelve and up.

Length? Several days.

Characters? Memorable, several characters.

Setting? Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? 1994.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: Tanaquil's journeys.

Notes for the reader: Something about this novel was off. To avoid a spoiler, one part, Tanaquil should have picked up on, and didn't. Maybe that's what bothers me so much about it. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
In the sequel to Black Unicorn, Tanaquil continues her exploration of her world and ends up captured by the widely feared Empress Veriam. While with the Empress and her crew, Tanaquil is made to fix the Empress' fierce gold unicorn--her battle machine to help her conquer the world. Tanaquil and company end up in another parallel world, this one the complete opposite of the paradise Tanaquil visited in the first book.
Again, I was happy with the pace of this story. Tanaquil grew on me, and I enjoyed her subtle sarcasm and snarkiness even more. It's a quick read, only 200-something pages and worth what little time it takes to read it. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Aug 9, 2011 |
Possible spoiler alert:

I liked this better than Black Unicorn, but I'm still not sure about whether I'm going to hold on to the trilogy. I think it is good that Tanaquil got to see the hell world, so that she could see how earth is in balance. I'm disturbed by what happened with Lizra, and by the whole deal with Honj, which I'm guessing might be sorted out in the the third book. Those Mousps were cute! ( )
  t1bnotown | Feb 18, 2008 |
To John Kaiine, My Husband and Good Angel
Sixteen-year-old Tanaquil, the red-haired daughter of the red-haired sorceress Jaive, lives with her mother in a fortress in the desert.

Journeying across different lands, the youthful mender Tanaquil is shocked to discover that the Empress Verian, who wishes to conquer the entire land from one sea to the next, is in fact her half-sister Lizra, who has constructed a tremendous mechanical unicorn of gold.

Tanaquil must use her unique mending abilities to make a steam-powered unicorn constructed by Empress Veriam move, so that the Empress can gain control of an empire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,179,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible