Cat on the Edge: A Joe Grey Mystery by…

Cat on the Edge: A Joe Grey Mystery (1996)

by Shirley Rousseau Murphy

Series: Joe Grey (1)

Purrfect for cozy mystery/cat lovers. Susan Boyce's narration of the audiobook struck just the right balance between light suspense and kitty-cat cuteness. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Ironically, other reviews, particularly Sammi's: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/372612998?book_show_action=false&page=1, that *complain* about too much cat's inner life and too much world-building and not enough mystery, make me *want* to read this. I love to learn what other people think about critters' points-of-view, I love world-building, and I can't abide mysteries....

I'm considering this because I just enjoyed Silver Woven In My Hair, a lovely 'tween fairy tale.
______________________________

Well that was some different. And, yes, the cat's inner lives were the most interesting thing about it. Engaging, but a little bit clumsy, needed more assertive editing. I'm glad I read it, and not interested in reading the next. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Cat on the Edge: A Joe Grey Mystery by Shirley Rousseau Murphy might just be one of the strangest books I've every read. Is it a cozy mystery? Cat story? Fantasy? With 20 books in the Joe Grey series, it obviously appeals to many readers, but I was primarily left shaking my head over it.

The writing itself is pretty good in most parts, maybe a bit over descriptive, but it isn't a big complaint. The author captures the small touristy California town perfectly. The murder and surrounding crime was well enough thought out.

I wasn't charmed by the talking cats, who were portrayed very matter-of-factly. The reveal to their owners of their extraordinary abilities was very flat, in my opinion.

The were-cat storyline just added another layer of strangeness to the plot. I wasn't certain it added anything else except as a device to keep the narrative moving forward.

It's a unique novel, I'll give it that, but I won't be continuing with this weird world of cat stories. ( )
  Zumbanista | Feb 16, 2016 |
If you like cats and mysteries, you can't go wrong. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |
Molena Point is a quaint seaside town near the Bay Area of California. Everything is fairly peaceful right up until a body is discovered in the alley behind the local Deli. It seemed like the perfect crime with the only witness being a cat. And everyone knows cat's can't talk.

Cat on the Edge is the first in the Joe Grey Mysteries. This is slightly different than your average murder mystery as the murderer is identified fairly early on and it is the secondary story. Instead the real mystery lies with the cats, how they became the way they are, how they adapt to the situation and how their humans handle it all. The story has a slow reveal of the cat's nature while they put together the pieces of the murder to capture the killer. I read Murphy's Catsworld Portal years ago, which does tie in somewhat. It is not necessary to read that to enjoy this book though it will explain the mythology a bit more.

I quite enjoyed this cozy little mystery and plan to continue the series for a few books. It is a nice, light entrance to a mystery series for cat fans. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 21, 2015 |

Shirley Rousseau Murphyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyce, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those who wonder about their cats. And for the cats who don't need to wonder, for the cats who know.
The murder of Samuel Beckwhite in the alley behind Jolly's Delicatessen was observed by no human witness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056006, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:50 -0400)

It's been quite a week for Joe Grey. First the large, powerful feline discovers that, through some strange, inexplicable phenomenon, he now has the ability to understand human language. Then he discovers he can speak it as well! It's a nightmare for a cat who'd prefer to sleep the day away carefree, but Joe can handle it. That is, until he has the misfortune to witness a murder in the alley behind Jolly's Deli -- and worse, to be seen witnessing it. With all of his nine lives suddenly at risk, Joe's got no choice but to get to the bottom of the heinous crime -- because his mouse-hunting days are over for good unless he can help bring a killer to justice.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible