- fiction (1,587), audiobooks (982), f-sf (656), mystery (572), arcs (340), non-fiction (277), romance (228), fantasy (161), historical-fiction (156), dogs (147), science fiction (142), novella (130), to-read (101), popular-science (85), favorites (83), history (72), science (69), short-story (58), biography (50), cats (45), women-s-fiction (44), children (41), lit-fic (38), graphic-story (34), short-story-collections (32), public-policy (31), thriller (30), 2016-hugo-eligible (29), horror (26), christian (22), never-finished (22), 2015-hugo-nominees (20), young-adult (20), detective (19), business (18), politics (17), memoir (17), family (17), 2017-hugo-eligible (14), novelette (13), 2016-hugo-nominee (13), horses (12), religion (11), christmas (10), women (10), amish (10), paranormal (10), psychology (9), 2019 Hugo Finalist (9), 2020 Hugo finalist (9), currently-reading (9), adventure (8), medicine (7), autism (7), genetics (7), language (7), folklore (7), fables (7), humor (6), LGBTQ (6), autobiography (6), neuroscience (6), fairy tales (6), 2019 Lodestar Finalist (6), anthologies (5), paleontology (5), 2015-world-fantasy-award-nominees (5), war-fiction (5), 2023 Hugo Awards Best Novella Finalist (5), alternate history (5), economics (5), time travel (5), networking (4), translated fiction (4), new-adult (4), read (4), mythology (4), poetry (4), rabid-puppies (4), endangered-species (3), novel (3), libraries (3), brain (3), suspense (3), evolution (3), birds (3), sad-puppies (3), 2021 Best Novella Hugo Finalist (3), contemporary (3), historical fiction (3), dinosaurs (3), human evolution (2), taxonomy (2), anthropology (2), young adult (2), human behavior (2), NetGalley (2), astronomy (2), Christian fiction (2), human brain (2), superhero-fiction (2), friendship (2), archaeology (2), autism spectrum disorder (2), Sherlock Holmes (2), physics (2), natural history (2), multicultural (2), mental health (2), sf fandom (2), 2021 Best Series Hugo Finalist - Lady Astronaut (2), illustrated (2), learning (2), 2022 Lodestar Best Young Adult Novel Finalist (2), octopus (2), literature (2), short story (2), social policy (2), domestication (2), English (2), cosmology (2), race (2), historical romance (2), Star Trek (1), Christmas (1), space (1), personality (1), particle physics (1), cold war (1), etiquette (1), color (1), women's fiction (1), dystopias (1), anxiety (1), foxes (1), asperger's syndrome (1), cell biology (1), hedgehogs (1), sexual harassment (1), myster (1), linguistics (1), forest life (1), literary awards (1), crime (1), historical-fantasy (1), essays (1), voice galley (1), books (1), gift (1), translation (1), 2015-campbell-nominees (1), literary criticism. non-fiction (1), trump investigation (1), 2021 Best Short Story Hugo Finalist (1), middle grade fiction (1), 2021 Best Novelette Hugo Finalist (1), 2021 Astounding Best New Writer Finalist (1), 2021 Lodestar Best Novel Finalist (1), romantic+comedy (1), covid year (1), +arcs (1), 2016-campbell-nominee (1), vampires (1), Greek mythology (1), medical industry (1), Africa (1), m/m romance (1), Christianity (1), Amazon (1), Biblical studies (1), depression (1), business fraud (1), LGBTQ rights (1), pet sitters (1), 2020 (1), big data (1), the great courses (1), social-sciences (1), Māori mythology (1), pop culture (1), orcas (1), the americas (1), criticism (1), biology (1), artificial intelligence (1), steampunk (1), cancer (1), biographical fiction (1), trees (1), graphic novel (1), sexism (1), zombies (1), aliens (1), finance (1), complexity (1), transgender (1), food (1), journalism (1), noir (1), spy thriller (1), whales (1), computers (1), Douglas Adams (1), spies (1), short fiction (1), social psychology (1), legend (1), neurology (1), magic realism (1), contemporary fiction (1), education (1), political criticism (1), dialect (1), post-apocalyptic (1), suicide (1), ants (1), military history (1), music (1), time travel romance (1), epic poetry (1), police procedural (1), parallel universes (1), guidebooks (1), penguins (1), literary biography (1), relaxation (1), deer (1), neurobiology (1), environmental science (1), Arthurian (1), parrots (1), chimpanzees (1), racism (1), human-rights (1), social relationships (1), medical history (1), chickens (1), Mennonites (1), technology (1), oil industry (1), media history (1), mystery; (1), myrmecology (1), Arthur Conan Doyle (1), time (1), international politics (1), paleoanthropology (1), bees (1), Jewish culture (1), mammals (1), astrophysics (1), black holes (1), energy (1), writing (1), health (1), nutrition (1), religious fiction (1), food safety (1), fbi (1), podcasts (1), badass women (1), rabies (1), sleep (1), culture (1), Sparta (1), natural science (1)
- Tag Cloud, Author Cloud, Tag Mirror
- Sep 19, 2018
- Real Name
- Elisabeth Carey
- About My Library
- I read fantasy, science fiction, mystery, romance, general fiction, nonfiction with and emphasis on history and science. I don't read erotica, and I don't read horror, except on the rare occasions that I do. I am NOT a fan of grimdark. I like good characters and good plot. Inclusion of dogs, cats, or other warmblooded animals always a plus, though having them die in the story is a serious demerit. Not interested in your book about how I can change my life by adopting your preferred morally acceptable menu or New Age philosophy.
- About Me
- I'm a librarian, blogger, dog lover, cat lover, science fiction fan, student of history, and enthusiast of facts and information of all kinds. I love tracking down the answers to odd questions, and connecting people with the information they need. My professional background includes law firms, a biotechnology R&D company, and academic and public libraries.
- Also On
- Currently Reading
- High Crimes: A Georgia Davis Novel of Suspense (The Georgia Davis PI Series #5) by Libby Fischer HellmannSpirits in the Wires: A Novel of Myth and Magic - On the Streets and On the Net (Newford) by Charles De LintJules Verne: The Classics Novels Collection [Classics Authors Vol: 12] (Black Horse Classics) by Jules VerneDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?: The inspiration for the films Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 by Philip K. DickThe Death of the Banker: The Decline and Fall of the Great Financial Dynasties and the Triumph of the Small Investor by Michael KramerRawlicious at Home: More Than 100 Raw, Vegan and Gluten-free Recipes to Make You Feel Great by Angus CrawfordGod Soul Mind Brain: A Neuroscientist's Reflections on the Spirit World (LeapSci) by Michael S. A. GrazianoThe Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (the Hobbit / the Fellowship of the Ring / the Two Towers / the by J.R.R. TolkienA Child al Confino: The True Story of a Jewish Boy and His Mother in Mussolini's Italy by Eric LametThe Greatest Knight: The Unsung Story of the Queen's Champion (William Marshal Book 2) by Elizabeth ChadwickComic book encyclopedia : the ultimate guide to characters, graphic novels, writers, and artists in the comic book universe by Ron GoulartWinter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped by George BackmanThe Cross-Country Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel (Elm Creek Quilts Novels) by Jennifer ChiaveriniDog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet by John BradshawHow Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise by NICK PODEHLGood Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable by Faculty of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts UniverMallets Aforethought: A Home Repair Is Homicide Mystery (Home Repair Is Homicide Mysteries (Audio)) by Sarah GravesMain Street Public Library: Community Places and Reading Spaces in the Rural Heartland, 1876-1956 (Iowa and the Midwest Experience) by Wayne A. WiegandThe Great Stagnation: How America Ate All the Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will( Eventually) Feel Better by Tyler CowenRise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars by Erin BennettTreason at Lisson Grove: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Series Book 26) by Anne PerryChasing science at sea : Racing hurricanes, stalking sharks, and living undersea with ocean experts by Ellen PragerTell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick TroutMadeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet Box Set (A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters) by Madeleine L'EngleMerchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming by Naomi OreskesAmong the Departed: A Constable Molly Smith Mystery (Constable Molly Smith Mysteries) by Vicki DelanyThe Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds, and the Laws of Physics (Popular Science) by Roger PenroseThe Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black (The Young Inventors Guild Series) by Eden Unger BowditchThe 11 Laws of Likability: Relationship Networking . . . Because People Do Business with People They Like by Michelle LedermanBetween the Thames and the Tiber: The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Pegasus Crime (Hardcover)) by Ted RiccardiThrough a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World by Jennifer ArnoldEinstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time (Great Discoveries) by Michio KakuBridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox) by Barry HughartThunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael HingsonThe Big Handout: How Government Subsidies and Corporate Welfare Corrupt the World We Live In and Wreak Havoc on Our Food Bills by Thomas M. KostigenNo Buddy Left Behind: Bringing Us Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone: Library Edition (Playaway Adult Nonfiction) by Cynthia HurnThe inner world of farm animals : their amazing social, emotional, and intellectual capacities by Amy HatkoffCat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean by Jackson GalaxyGenes, Chromosomes, and Disease: From Simple Traits, to Complex Traits, to Personalized Medicine (FT Press Science) by Nicholas Wright GillhamPacking the Court: The Rise of Judicial Power and the Coming Crisis of the Supreme Court by James MacGregor BurnsMy Journey Through War and Peace: Explorations of a Young Filmmaker, Feminist and Spiritual Seeker by Melissa BurchJohn Scalzi Is Not A Very Popular Author And I Myself Am Quite Popular: How SJWs Always Lie About Our Comparative Popularity Levels by Theophilus PrattPhysics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 by Michio KakuAge of Wonder How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty and Terror of Science by Richard HolmesWhat Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers (What Color Is Your Parachute) by Richard Nelson BollesThousands of Broadways: Dreams and Nightmares of the American Small Town (The Rice University Campbell Lectures) by Robert PinskyWould You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?: . . . and Other Questions from the Astronomers' In-box at the Vatican Observatory by Rob ShapiroMurder on a Bad Hair Day: A Southern Sisters Mystery (Southern Sisters Mysteries Book 2) by Anne GeorgeAmerican Tempest: How the Boston Tea Party Sparked a Revolution (Library Edition) by Harlow Giles UngerIt's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided with the New Politics of Extremism by Thomas E. MannA Fistful of Collars: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series) by Spencer QuinnThe Politics of Voter Suppression: Defending and Expanding Americans' Right to Vote (A Century Foundation Book) by Tova Andrea WangClean Energy Nation: Freeing America from the Tyranny of Fossil Fuels by Congressman Jerry McNerney Ph.D.The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality by Richard PanekThe Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code by Sam KeanThe Doublet Affair (An Ursula Blanchard Mystery at Queen Elizabeth I's Court)(Library Edition) (Ursula Blanchard Mystery at Queen Elizabeth I's Court (Audio)) by Fiona BuckleyThe Sun's Heartbeat: And Other Stories from the Life of the Star That Powers Our Planet by Bob BermanThe Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind by Michio KakuLove Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles by Dr. Nick TroutThe Dead Shall Not Rest: A Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mystery (Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries, Book 2) by Tessa HarrisMidnight at Marble Arch: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Series Book 28) by Anne PerryIn a Dog's Heart:What Our Dogs Need, Want, and Deserve--and the Gifts We Can Expect in Return by Jennifer ArnoldA Dog Named Boo: How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other - and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way by Lisa EdwardsWhat's a Dog For?: The Surprising History, Science, Philosophy, and Politics of Man's Best Friend by John HomansKatie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family by Glenn PlaskinThe Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series Book 12) by Alexander McCall SmithBRAVE NEW WORLD - with - BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED by Aldous (forword by Christopher Hitchens) HuxleyThe Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street Free Preview (The First 3 Chapters): A Novel by Susan Jane GilmanAnd Give Up Showbiz?: How Fred Levin Beat Big Tobacco, Avoided Two Murder Prosecutions, Became a Chief of Ghana, Earned Boxing Manager of the Year, and Transformed American Law by Josh YoungElephant Company: The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II by Vicki CrokeThe Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty by William HogelandThe Sound and the Furry: A Chet and Bernie Mystery (The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series) by Spencer QuinnDeath on Blackheath: A Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Novel (Charlotte and Thomas Pitt Series Book 29) by Anne PerryThe Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series Book 14) by Alexander McCall SmithTales from High Hallack Volume Three: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton: 3 by Andre NortonThe Iggy Chronicles, Volume One: A Chet and Bernie Mystery eShort Story (The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series) by Spencer QuinnThe Quest for the Cure: The Science and Stories Behind the Next Generation of Medicines by Brent StockwellYour Dog: The Owner's Manual: Hundreds of Secrets, Surprises, and Solutions for Raising a Happy, Healthy Dog by Marty BeckerNobody's Child: A Georgia Davis Novel of Suspense (Georgia Davis PI Series) (Volume 4) by Libby Fischer HellmannThe Dog Stays in the Picture: How My Rescued Greyhound Helped Me Cope with My Empty Nest by Susan MorseA Cat Was Involved: A Chet and Bernie Mystery eShort Story (The Chet and Bernie Mystery Series) by Spencer QuinnAtomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters; From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima by James MahaffeyBitch In a Bonnet: Reclaiming Jane Austen from the Stiffs, the Snobs, the Simps and the Saps (Volume 2) by Robert RodiThe Black Thumb: In Which Molly Takes On Tropical Gardening, A Toxic Frenemy, A Rocky Engagement, Her Albanian Heritage, and Murder (Professor Molly Mysteries) (Volume 3) by Frankie BowFactory Man: How One Furniture Maker Battled Offshoring, Stayed Local - and Helped Save an American Town by Beth MacyThe Great Cake Mystery: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case (Precious Ramotswe Mysteries for Young Readers) by Alexander McCall SmithChristmas Present: A Chronicles of St. Mary's Short Story (The Chronicles of St Mary's) by Jodi TaylorThe Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities: Exhibits, Oddities, Images, and Stories from Top Authors and Artists by Ann VanderMeerTainted Witness: Why We Doubt What Women Say About Their Lives (Gender and Culture Series) by Leigh GilmoreThe Handsome Man's De Luxe Café: No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (15) (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series) by Alexander McCall SmithRise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars by Nathalia HoltLove, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings (The Lily Singer Adventures, Book 1) (Volume 1) by Lydia SherrerHidden figures [the American dream and the untold story of the black women mathematicians who helped win the space race] by Margot Lee ShetterlyMachines of Loving Grace: The Quest for Common Ground Between Humans and Robots: Library Edition by Professor John MarkoffThe Secret Lives of Codebreakers: The Men and Women Who Cracked the Enigma Code at Bletchley Park by Sinclair McKayWild ones : a sometimes dismaying, weirdly reassuring story about looking at people looking at animals in America by Jon MooallemBandersnatch: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the Creative Collaboration of the Inklings by Diana Pavlac GlyerAtomic Adventures: Secret Islands, Forgotten N-Rays, and Isotopic Murder -- A Journey Into the Wild World of Nuclear Science by James MahaffeyThe Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the Worlds Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua HammerThe Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of ''Unadoptables'' Taught Me About Service, Hope, and Healing (Library Edition) by Susannah CharlesonJust Add Water by Jinx Schwartz, (Hetta Coffey Series, Book 1) from Books In Motion.com by Jinx SchwartzLove, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Allies (The Lily Singer Adventures, Book 3) (Volume 3) by Lydia SherrerThe Gig Economy: The Complete Guide to Getting Better Work, Taking More Time Off, and Financing the Life You Want by Diane MulcahyThe princess bride : S. Morgenstern's classic tale of true love and high adventure by William GoldmanHow to Tame a Fox (and Build a Dog): Visionary Scientists and a Siberian Tale of Jump-Started Evolution by Lee Alan DugatkinThe Ghost in My Brain: How a Concussion Stole My Life and How the New Science of Brain Plasticity Helped Me Get It Back by Clark Elliott Ph.D.Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother & Other Botanical Atrocities: Library Edition (Playaway Adult Nonfiction) by Amy Stewart
- Interesting Library