Snow White, Blood Red (2019)

by Ellen Datlow (Editor), Terri Windling (Editor)

Other authors: Jack Dann (Contributor), Charles de Lint (Contributor), Ryan Edmonds (Contributor), Esther M. Friesner (Contributor), Gregory Frost (Contributor)16 more, Neil Gaiman (Contributor), Lisa Goldstein (Contributor), Harvey Jacobs (Contributor), Kathe Koja (Contributor), Nancy Kress (Contributor), Tanith Lee (Contributor), Elizabeth A. Lynn (Contributor), Patricia A. McKillip (Contributor), Leonard Rysdyk (Contributor), Caroline Stevermer (Contributor), Melanie Tem (Contributor), Steve Rasnic Tem (Contributor), Susan Wade (Contributor), Wendy Wheeler (Contributor), Gahan Wilson (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

Series: The Snow White, Blood Red Series (1)

"You hold in your hands a volume of wonders - magical tales of trolls and ogres, of bewitched princesses and kingdoms accursed, penned by some of the most acclaimed fantasists of our day. But these are not bedtime stories designed to usher an innocent child gently into the realm of dreams. These are stories that bite - lush and erotic, often dark and disturbing mystical journeys through a phantasmagoric landscape of distinctly adult sensibilities." "Set in haunted forests, amid the recognizable urban sprawl of contemporary society, or in worlds beyond our imagining, here are the lusts, dreams and nightmares of the human animal - presented in a manner that would make the Grimm brothers proud. From provocative alternate takes on time-honored myths - Tanith Lee's sensuous and unsettling futuristic retelling of Snow White; Gahan Wilson's delightful account of the Frog Prince in therapy - to stunningly original new tales rich in archetypal imagery - Steve Rasnic Tem's deliciously gruesome chronicle of a miniature child abandoned in a city of giants. Each is a compelling grown-up fable relevant to the times in which we live." "Through the collective creative genius of such masters as Charles de Lint, Nancy Kress, Jane Yolen and many others, the magical characters we loved in childhood have been reborn. But Jack is older, though no wiser now...and he has climbed the beanstalk one time too many. Rapunzel's sweet innocence has vanished like a song on the wind. And there is no such thing as "happily ever after.""--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

I wish I had not wasted my money OR time on this book. One story is about a sexual predator grooming the mother to get to the daughter. Nasty!!! Most are depressing, violent and/or sexual. I can't think of even one that I would enjoy re-reading. ( )
  mitchma | Mar 10, 2019 |
There are books, and then there are keepers. Books are the ones you enjoy but don't have any problem trading away at the used book store. Keepers…well, those are the ones you hold on to, on the off-chance you'll read them again. Even if you don't, you can look at them on your shelves and think, "my, that was good…I remember…"

This is a keeper.

In short, it's a collection of short stories based on, or inspired by, the fairy tales you enjoyed (or were frightened by) as a child. It's a concept that's been explored before, perhaps, but it's fertile enough ground, so much so that editors Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow have done several volumes of similar material since. The only problem, if any, is that several of these stories were also printed in The Year's "Best Fantasy and Horror"--also, not coincidentally, edited by Windling and Datlow. So, if you have both, read this one first. Or not, chances are pretty darned good you'll want to read these repeatedly.

A keeper, in other words. If you find it, or any of its successors, buy it, read it, keep it. ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
I appreciated a few stories. Susan Wade's "Like a Red, Red Rose" was a sad, magical tale that moved with the uncaring force of nature. Wendy Wheeler's "Little Red" was written well though disturbingly from the perspective of modern-day sexual predator. Elizabeth A. Lynn's presented three sides of the "Rapunzel" tale in "The Root of the Matter", and I enjoyed her concluding section if not the other two. "Breadcrumbs and Stones" captivated me with its meta use of a folktale. Neil Gaiman's "Troll Bridge" was my favorite for its symbolism.

Unfortunately, the good stories didn't make up for the ones I strongly disliked. That's the problem with an anthology -- it has to be taken as a whole. The more violently sexual stories were intolerable (particularly "Little Poucet") while other stories were surprisingly bland.

I ended up donating the copy I'd purchased to my community library. Hopefully, someone else is enjoying that copy. ( )
  aspirit | May 7, 2018 |
collections of short stories by all different authors are always a mixed bag, and this anthology is no exception. some are really enjoyable, and some are less so, but a worthwhile read. however, i counted an unacceptable total of 14 spelling errors, which diminishes my enjoyment a bit. ( )
1 vote Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
Average rating: 3.05 stars

Like a Red, Red Rose by Susan Wade **** Several fairy tale motifs are present in this story including a cottage in the woods, an innocent girl, a witch and a prince. Wades recombines the old ingredients into a new recipe as effective as any of the traditional variations.

The Moon is Drowning While I Sleep by Charles de Lint *** The dream world crossing over into the real world and possibly into Faerie just didn't do it for me.

The Frog Prince by Gahan Wilson ** Even worse than the dream world in the previous story, this story has a delusional man convinced he's hallucinating himself as the frog prince.

Stalking Beans by Nancy Kress * This adult fairy tale was too adult for me and too male as well, especially since it was written by a female.

Snow-Drop by Tanith Lee **** Riveting retelling of Snow White from a completely twisted and different point-of-view.

Little Red by Wendy Wheeler *** Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood from the wolf's point of view

I Shall Do Thee Mischief in the Wood by Kathie Koja 2 Again a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, from the wolf's point of view and turned on it's head.

The Root of the Matter by Gregory Frost *** An average retelling of Rapunzel.

The Princess in the Tower by Elizabeth A. Lynn **** A very good retelling of Rapunzel, from a male perspective, poignant ending.

Persimmon by Harvey Jacobs ** Thumbalina but again, too "adult" for my tastes.

Little Poucet Steve Rasnic Tem ** Another little known fairy tale that was too "X" rated for my tastes.

The Changelings by Melanie Tem ** Pitiful mother of a changeling child and the ending will leave you disappointed by the delusion.

The Springfield Swans by Caroline Stevermer and Ryan edmonds **** A wonderful retelling of "The Wild Swans" using a baseball team theme.

Troll Bridge Neil Gaiman **** Grimm told it first, but Gaiman told "Three Billy Goats Gruff" better.

A Sound, Like Angels Singing by Leonard Rysdy *** It's not until you are almost finished that you realize this the Pied Piper told from the point of view of a deaf or at least tone-deaf mother rat.

Puss by Esther M. Friesner **** Immortal cats with wings, personalities and powers but bound to mortals by honor.

The Glass Casket by Jack Dann **** My favorite short story of the collection. Reminded me of "The Inner Light" my favorite Star Trek TNG episode that one a Hugo.

Knives by Jane Yolen *** A short dark poem about Cinderella.

The Snow Queen by Patricia A. McKillip **** My second favorite story of the collection - a modern day love triangle between Gerda and Kay (who are married) and Neva (the Snow Queen).

Breadcrubs and Stones Lisa Goldstein *** Hanzel and Gretel meet the Holocaust - full of regrets and secrets held too closely to the breast and unto the deathbeds of the survivors.
  mossjon | Mar 31, 2013 |

Wheeler, WendyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GahanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A true fairytale is, to my mind, very like the sonata. If two or three men sat down to write each what the sonata meant to him, what approximation to definite idea would be the result? A fairytale, a sonata, a gathering storm, a limitless night, seizes you and sweeps you away. The law of each is in the mind of its composer; that law makes one man feel this way, another man feel that way. To one the sonata is a world of odour and beauty, to another of soothing only and sweetness. To one the cloudy rendezvous is a wild dance, with terror at its heart; to another a majestic march of heavenly hosts, with Truth in their center pointing their course but as yet restraining her voice. Nature is mood-engendering, thought-provoking, such out the sonata, the fairytale to be.
--George McDonald, in "Fantasists on Fantasy", edited by Robert H. Boyer and Kenneth J. Zahorski
For Thomas Canty, my artistic partner, dear friend, and companion through the lands of fairy tales
T.W.

For Doris Leibowitz Datlow, who read the fairy tales to me and along with me when I was growing up. Thanks mom.
E.D.

And in memoriam to Angela Carter, whose peerless adult fairy tales have inspired so many of us, and shall keep true wonder alive.
E.D. & T.W.
At a time not so long ago, in a land much like our own, there was a cottage at the edge of a daark, haunted forest.
Introduction (T.W.): In Italy in one of the earliest recorded versions of the story of "Sleeping Beauty," the princess is awakened not by a kiss but by the suckling of the twin children she has given birth to, impregnated by the prince while she lay in her enchanted sleep.
Introduction (E.D.): When Terri and I began to solicit stories based on fairy tales for Snow White, Blood Red, the first question we were asked by many of the writers we approached was: "What counts as a fairy tale?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,773,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible