Small Favor

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (10)

Chicago wizard Harry Dresden's calm life is interrupted when Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, decides to call in the favor that Harry owes her, sending him on a quest that leaves him trapped between a deadly foe and an untrustworthy ally.

English (153)  Dutch (1)  All languages (154)
This one seemed to go pretty quickly, but maybe that's because it's set in a single night (or at least mostly so). Lots of stake raising and room for more story! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
I had a great time with this audiobook! This is such a fantastic series. I love Harry and most of the other regularly appearing characters in this series. As I have come to expect with this series, this book was exciting, entertaining, funny, and even thoughtful. The audio is superb and really takes everything to the next level. If you have not tried this series yet, I highly suggest you pick up the first book and give it a read.

Harry owes Queen Mab a favor and she is calling it in. She needs him to find and rescue John Marcone. To make things more interesting the Billy Goats Gruff are out to get Harry. Throw in some excitement from the Denarians with their evil coins, the Knights of the Cross, and the Archive, and things get exciting really quick. There was a lot of action in this book and quite a few threads to keep track of but it all came together in the end.

James Marsters does an amazing job in bringing this series to life. I love all of the voices that he uses for the various characters. I almost felt like I was right there with Harry anytime I picked up my headphones to listen. He adds a lot of emotion and excitement to the story and he helps to make Harry’s sense of humor shine. I believe that his narration added to my enjoyment of this story.

I do highly recommend this book. This is a series that just gets better and better as you work your way through the series. This was my second time reading this book, the first time with the audiobook, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. I cannot wait to pick up the next book in the series! ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Oct 11, 2021 |
Small Favor combines my favorite parts of the Dresden Files: the Denarians and Knights of the Cross, Marcone, and the Fae in varying degrees. On top of that, where White Night tended towards mystery, Small Favor is straight up actions. The story hits the ground running and never really stops, right through several big set piece battles and one of the bigger finales we've seen (albeit not quite up to the level of Sue...).

On top of that, we get another of Butcher's lovely twists which just drop the bottom out of a story. You think you know what's going on... turns out you've missed the same huge clue that Dresden has. I'm always impressed with those.

There was one particular interesting thought that stuck with me even after I finished the book. Neither the Knights nor the Denarians believed that it was possible Dresden could be rid of Lash without taking up the coin. Everyone has their blind spots. It makes you think about where your own blind spots might be. And back in the Dresdenverse, given how tightly tied the Dresden Files are to Dresden's point of view, what is he missing?

We're also starting to see more and more power creep. Dresden may have lost the ability to sling Hellfire with Lash's demise, but he's got a new trick up his sleeve curtesy of a new heavy hitter on the supernatural scene. If all of the big guns show up in the promised finale to the Dresden Files another ten books down the line... It's going to be an interesting day.

Fun quotes:

"We're ostriches and the whole world is sand."

"That's the problem with you immortal types. You wouldn't get a pop culture reference if it skittered up your neck and implanted an embryo down your esophagus."
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Another action-packed Harry Dresden adventure, starting with an attack on the Carpenter family and Harry in their backyard. With Michael absent, some quick thinking and magic saves the day. Karin Murphy then asks Harry to a crime scene, where it seems Johnny Marcone has been taken hostage. Then Queen Mab of the Winter Court calls in a favor Harry owes, asking to rescue Marcone. Meanwhile. Queen Titania of the Summer Court is trying to stop Harry, sending some nasty fae creatures after him, including the brothers Gruff (weregoats, with each brother bigger than the one before.) Whom exactly has grabbed Marcone, for what purpose, and whether Harry can barter a deal to have Marcone released is the main story, involving animating coins and fallen angels. A terrific battle scene at the aquarium. Harry is able to rally his allies: brother Thomas, vampire of the White Court, his friends (the knights of the Cross), and eventually a team of Wardens, including his boss, which is an interesting plotline by itself.

Harry is still wise-cracking, but he is also growing wiser and more powerful. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
One of the best books in a great series. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For the forum going fans at jim-butcher.com. I'm pretty sure your bosses would be upset if they saw your posting stats, guys, but I won't tell if you won't.
Winter came early that year; it should have been a tip-off.
I ask people impertinent questions . . . Hopefully turning up pertinent answers.
Humanity, when frightened and angry, is a force even the supernatural world does not wish to reckon with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible