Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Small Favor

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (10)

English (135)  Dutch (1)  All languages (136)
I have to say that this is one of the better books in The Dresden Files series. It is a reasonably straightforward story with Harry doing quite a bit of clobbering (as well as getting clobbered himself of course) without stepping too obviously into various messes along the way. Sure, he steps into quite a lot of things one do not want to step into but it is not as silly and stupid as it was in some of the early books.

Naturally Dresden is as witty, sarcastic and foulmouthed as always. I guess some people would not call it witty and just go with foulmouthed but personally I like the kinds of comments that Harry, or rather Jim Butcher, cranks out.

As usual Harry is in deep shit with all kinds of supernatural entities. Magic flies through the air like rain on a (bad) autumn day. Murphy plays a quite significant role in this instalment and I am quite interested in knowing where that part of the story will go in the end.

There appears to be some dire sacrifices in this book as well. I say “appears” because the person in question did not pass away to the other side (entirely) but, unless some divine intervention takes place he might not have that much of a physical role to play in coming instalment.

There are a lot of action in this book. All quite good, as you can probably deduce from my rating of this book. I was afraid that Harry was going to become a bit of a weakling again after he lost his “fallen companion” and his hellfire with here but there is no evidence of that. Rather the inverse. There are some interesting developments in the area of Harry’s advancements in the world of supernatural wonders.

I would have liked to make a better, more in depth, review of this book but since I have some rather personal family issues that I have to devote time to right now this will simply have to do.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Yeah, okay, I think I'm going to have to give this one five stars. Oh, Michael. Oh, everyone. Harry's fist-shaking at God in the hospital chapel is one of the most stirring scenes in the series thus far, and the plotting has become so layered and unexpected. And I care about everyone. Absolutely everyone. On to the next. ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
4.5 stars. Maybe the most relentless (so far) of the Dresden novels, and really quite good. ( )
  wordsampersand | Dec 6, 2018 |
One of the things that made me laugh were the Gruffs - as in Billy Goat Gruffs. Sure they were dangerous and deadly, but still it tickled me that Mr. Butcher gave them life in his novel. Dresden is conducting his tightrope walk act again as he tries to out maneuver the bad guys and save the good ones. Somehow Dresden ends up with yet another sword. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 14, 2018 |
This series never disappoints. Harry is a wonderful character, always pitting himself against heavy hitters- criminal, magical or demonic - determinedly standing up for those who need his help, regardless of the pain and injuries he suffers in the process. It’s not grim, though, I often find my self chuckling as I am walking along, listening.

In this story Harry is forced to rescue someone he despises, has to battle the fiercely powerful Denarians alongside the Knights of the Cross, and pursues the abductors and abusers of a little girl. No-one gets out unscathed ...

James Masters performance is outstanding. If you enjoy his voice try some of the plays available on Audible, such as Macbeth or The Importance of Being Earnest - to go from one end of the dramatic spectrum to the other.

If you have not listened to any of the Dresden Files before, I do recommend listening to the series in order, otherwise you will miss some of the nuances of relationships which have built up over time, and the maturing of Harry’s character as he learns and grows through tough experiences. ( )
  Kindleifier | Jun 21, 2018 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the forum going fans at jim-butcher.com. I'm pretty sure your bosses would be upset if they saw your posting stats, guys, but I won't tell if you won't.
Winter came early that year; it should have been a tip-off.
I ask people impertinent questions . . . Hopefully turning up pertinent answers.
Humanity, when frightened and angry, is a force even the supernatural world does not wish to reckon with.

From the book flap

Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down. The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks bright.

But the past casts on hell of a long shadow.

It figures. Everything was going too well to last...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462009, Mass Market Paperback)

THE New York Times Bestseller

Harry Dresden?s life finally seems to be calming down?until a shadow from the past returns. Mab, monarch of the Sidhe Winter Court, calls in an old favor from Harry?one small favor that will trap him between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally, and that will strain his skills?and loyalties?to their very limits.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:45 -0400)

"Harry Dresden's life finally seems to be calming down, The White Council's war with the vampiric Red Court has reached a period of tentative peace, no one has tried to kill him for almost an entire year, and the worst problem he's had lately is working out how to remove the stains on his carpeting. For once, the future looks fairly bright." "But the past casts one hell of a long shadow." "An old bargain has placed Harry in debt to Mab, monarch of the Winter Court of the Sidhe, the Queen of Air and Darkness - and she's calling in her marker. Dresden still owes the Winter Queen two favors, and it's time to pay one of them off. Just one small favor he can't refuse - one that will trap Harry Dresden between a nightmarish foe and an equally deadly ally and strain his skills and loyalties to their very limits." "It figures. Everything was going too well to last."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible