P Is for Peril

by Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone (16)

It's no surprise that Grafton has taken on new territory in her 16th book of the alphabet series, this time entering the world of noir. It's a world cast in shades of black amid shafts of steel and silver, a shadow land in which the disappearance of a prominent physician leads Kinsey Millhone into a danger-filled maze of duplicity as she taps into a cunning Medicare fraud.… (more)

English (46)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
There is a lot going on in this book. Kinsey is potentially on the move again for her office space, and in the meantime commences the search for a missing person, who’s business practices might prove to be suspicious. As usual the action is well paced, and KM skirts dangerous situations throughout the story. The characters are diverse and you change opinions on which you like or dislike. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
I keep thinking I've read everything in this series and then finding another one I'd missed. I'm always happy to spend time with Kinsey! ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
This was such a good Kinsey Millhone mystery. I loved that I did not see the ending coming until Kinsey finally grasped what really went on. There were so many players in this one that I was wondering who was the murderer. I also liked we get to see Kinsey contemplating a new romantic interest who was not all that he seemed.

"P is for Peril" has Kinsey employed by an ex-wife of a missing man (Dr. Dowan Purcell). His ex-wife Fiona believes his current wife, Crystal had something to do with things. Crystal has a somewhat shady past as an ex-dancer/stripper but now is a devoted mother to their son. When Kinsey starts investigating she soon realizes that Dr. Purcell had a lot of reasons to want to disappear. With him dealing with his ex-wife and their family, his current's wife's family, and some issues at his job, Purcell could be long gone. Kinsey being Kinsey though quickly starts to realize something is amiss. Along with that, Kinsey comes across to two brothers with her becoming a possible interest to one, Tommy Hevener.

Kinsey was a little bit off for me in this book, in a good way. She starts to question herself once she starts to realize she is getting so many things wrong along the way with Dr. Purcell's case. She also wonders about getting romantically involved with Tommy. That one was a bit murkier, but Kinsey appears to like it when someone pushes back on her and her attitude. I thought it was interesting to have her involved with someone that wasn't her constantly missing ex or whatever he is, Robert Dietz.

I think it was a nice showcase to show that Kinsey's work at times is mostly lucky guesses. She gets shown as being arrogant and naive at times in this book which we know the fictional Kinsey would hate.

This one ends a bit differently than other Millhone books though. Usually Grafton ends with an epilogue that ties up the case. However, I liked how she ended this one with you realizing what would come next, without you having it spelled out for you. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I found this series the year that D came out and I have eagerly awaited each new addition. I'm never disappointed and wasn't this time either. Kinsey is hired to find the ex-husband of her client. He's been missing and find him involves a wide variety of interesting characters. Now I have to wait a year and a half for Q. Sigh. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department
The Santa Barbara County Coroner's Office
and
Harriet Miller, Mayor of Santa Barbara
With appreciation for your competence, integrity, dedication, and generosity of spirit.
The house on Old Reservoir Road appeared to be in the final phases of construction.
ISBN 0330457861 is for the Omnibus 2-in-1: O Is for Outlaw and P Is for Peril.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 1842738038 is for Cool Jokes.
Amazon has ISBN 1842738038 for both Cool Jokes AND P is for Peril.

She's every lover's feisty girlfriend.
She's every father's courageous daughter.

She's every woman's tough, vulnerable, and spirited alter ego.

She's Kinsey Millhone, familiar to millions of readers around the globe, and she's back in full stride in P is for Peril, her latest venture into the darker side of the human soul. Mordant, mocking, and deceptively low-key, hers is a voice we know we can trust, from a character we've come to love.

Through fifteen novels, Sue Grafton has gone from strength to strength, never writing the same book twice. So it's no surprise that she has taken on new territory in her sixteenth, this time entering the world of noir. It's a world cast in shades of black amid shafts of steel and silver, a shadow land in which the mysterious disappearance of a prominent physician leads Kinsey into a danger-filled maze of duplicity and double-dealing as she taps into the intricacies of a cunning Medicare fraud.

P is for Peril: the novel in which Millhone stakes her life on a thin thread of intuition because the facts glint elusively out of reach and only guesses offer any shot at the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,339,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible