P Is for Peril by Sue Grafton

P Is for Peril (2001)

by Sue Grafton

Series: The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries (16)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All (37)
I reread this recently as an audiobook and I have to say I was disappointed. I love Sue Grafton and Kinsey Milhone but the ending on this left me feeling flat. No real conclusion! I missed the Last Chapter and the Epilogue as well. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |
P is for Peril by Sue Grafton; (3 1/2*)

One of Grafton's alphabet Private Detective series, this is a good little mystery to just relax with. Not a cozy but a comfy, easy read.
An ex-wife of a doctor hires our PI to find her missing ex. He has disappeared a couple of times previously and some think this may be a repeat performance of those days. But the ex-wife is suspicious and thinks that there might be something more sinister in place. The suspects and motives are many.
The book is well written and interesting. I will likely return to the beginning of this series and pick it up at [A is for Alibi]. Looks like a nice series to read throughout the winter. ( )
  rainpebble | Dec 4, 2017 |
I definitely wasn't expecting the Talbot reveal which was rather interesting. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I found this to be one of the better books in the Kinsey Millhone series. This time, Kinsey finds herself involved with two separate cases (one not exactly by her choice), which gives a good sub-plot and adds a nice bit of suspense to the story. I like how Grafton comes up with plausible mysteries, continues to bring back supporting characters like Kinsey’s landlord, Henry and maintains the detailed 1986 setting. Always fun to travel back in time, as it were! I was a bit surprised when Grafton deviated from her usual “the last chapter” and explanatory epilogue wrap-up. Instead, she leaves the reader with an implied ending which I thought worked rather well. ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 24, 2016 |
This is another installment in the Kinsey Millhone series. The storyline was well thought out and the two main mysteries criss-crossed each other without getting in the way of each other. Sue Grafton did an excellent job with adding surprise elements at the end to keep you interested. The main mystery's solution was never solved in writing. You are given the opportunity to infer what happened. The teacher in me kinda liked that. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

the late Richard Breza, Santa Barbara Police Chief
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department
The Santa Barbara County Coroner's Office
Harriet Miller, Mayor of Santa Barbara
With appreciation for your competence, integrity, dedication, and generosity of spirit.
The house on Old Reservoir Road appeared to be in the final phases of construction.
ISBN 0330457861 is for the Omnibus 2-in-1: O Is for Outlaw and P Is for Peril.
Per WorldCat, ISBN 1842738038 is for Cool Jokes.
Amazon has ISBN 1842738038 for both Cool Jokes AND P is for Peril.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449003795, Mass Market Paperback)

When Dowan Purcell, a respected physician who operates a nursing home, disappears, his ex-wife hires Santa Teresa PI Kinsey Millhone to look into it. Fiona Purcell is still seething over Dow's affair and subsequent marriage to Crystal, a former stripper, yet they're still friends, and she seems worried. But when his body is discovered, she's among the suspects. Both of Dow's wives, at least one of his business partners, and perhaps even Crystal's teenage daughter had motives to kill.

While in her most recent adventures (N Is for Noose, O Is for Outlaw) Kinsey has acquired new digs, an extended family, and a few more gray hairs, in this one (which takes place some time in the mid-'80s), she's 36, still living in the remodeled garage that was blown up in an earlier novel. Easier than a facelift, and while Sue Grafton is a solid enough writer to pull it off, dedicated Kinsey fans will miss the more complex and multidimensional character who aged so ruefully and interestingly in the '90s. This isn't Grafton's strongest case; it's hard to care about any of Purcell's women or his associates. More exciting is the secondary plot, which involves a handsome landlord who offers Kinsey the new office space she's been seeking and turns out to be a lot more trouble than she bargained for. Despite its somewhat plodding pace and the echo of a more evolved heroine that rings through its pages, Grafton's many fans will probably shoot P Is for Peril right to the top of the bestseller list. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Detective Kinsey Millhone searches for a missing nursing home director who was being investigated for Medicare fraud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,200,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible