Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate…

Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (2000)

by bell hooks

bell hooks was recommended to me about a decade ago. As this book is now available as an audio edition, it the first I've gotten around to.

I've identified as a feminist since I know what feminism was (sometime in high school). In a patriarchal society, feminism is not just about women—it is about arriving at a societal dynamic whereby everyone is respected.

The title pretty much sums it up. This is a primer on feminism, and it is for everyone (especially white men). hooks explores the ways in which patriarchy is bad for everyone, even the "winners." I happen to be reading Derrick Jensen's "A Language Older Than Words" simultaneously; in it, Jensen speaks of being molested by his father. It is the sickening illustration of the truth to hooks' words.

There are some elements of the book that were surprising to me. For example, hooks draws links between abortion rights and birth control. I hadn't previously heard abortion described as a standard birth control method.

In our current era, with Trump as president and the Me Too movement, now is a great time to read this book. ( )
  willszal | Jun 19, 2019 |
Good primer for feminism albeit a tiny bit dated. Sadly, not dated enough. If you're looking for a basic introduction to the real concept of feminism, I would recommend this book. However, if you like commas, you will be wondering where they all went. There are definitely some sentences that are difficult to read due a serious lack of punctuation. The book could have stood to have a round of editing by someone who doesn't hate commas so much. ( )
  ladypembroke | May 17, 2019 |
Muy accesible. Nada sorprendente para lo que se sabe ahora, pero vincula ideas y justificaciones de lo que hemos entendido como principios feministas. ( )
  tcanaleso | Apr 14, 2019 |
Really enjoyed reading this book. Expected a primer on Feminism and actually got a bit of a critique and history of the movement which turned out to be exactly what I wanted. While hooks may sometimes (actually rarely) stray into assertions I am uncomfortable accepting, a little contemplation on my part often reveals a core of truth in each. And for the most part, I find her to be a very convincing, erudite, and interesting writer. I'd recommend this book to just about anybody because its material addresses forces which affect everybody brought up in capitalist patriarchal society. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
The best introductory book to feminism I've read. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | Jan 7, 2019 |

A genuine feminist politics always brings us from bondage to freedom, from lovelessness to loving....There can be no love without justice.—from the chapter "To Love Again: The Heart of Feminism"

In this engaging and provocative volume, bell hooks introduces a popular theory of feminism rooted in common sense and the wisdom of experience. Hers is a vision of a beloved community that appeals to all those committed to equality, mutual respect, and justice.

hooks applies her critical analysis to the most contentious and challenging issues facing feminists today, including reproductive rights, violence, race, class, and work. With her customary insight and unsparing honesty, hooks calls for a feminism free from divisive barriers but rich with rigorous debate. In language both eye-opening and optimistic, hooks encourages us to demand alternatives to patriarchal, racist, and homophobic culture, and to imagine a different future.

hooks speaks to all those in search of true liberation, asking readers to take look at feminism in a new light, to see that it touches all lives. Issuing an invitation to participate fully in feminist movement and to benefit fully from it, hooks shows that feminism—far from being an outdated concept or one limited to an intellectual elite--is indeed for everybody.

bell hooks is the author of numerous critically acclaimed books on the politics of race, gender, class, and culture. A frequent lecturer in the United States and abroad, she is Distinguished Professor of English at City College, City University of New York.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:53 -0400)

"What is feminism? In this short, accessible primer, bell hooks explores the nature of feminism and its positive promise to eliminate sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression. With her characteristic clarity and directness, hooks encourages readers to see how feminism can touch and change their lives--to see that feminism is for everybody"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible