Judgement Calls by Alafair Burke

Judgement Calls (2003)

by Alafair Burke

Judgement Calls is a fairly typical 'whodunnit' but was my first Alafair Burke book. I have rated it as a four star book - three stars for the book and author plus an extra star for Betty Bobitt's reading of my audio version. I will be reading more of Burke's novels. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Good story, cop procedural. Author is the daughter of James Lee Burke. Samantha Kincaid is an asst DA in Portland, prosecuting horrible crimes of violence against teen prostitutes. Not so great narration. Sounds like the narrator fights (not completely successfully) to hide a British accent, for low life Portlandians... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Jul 9, 2014 |
Samantha Kinkaid is a prosecutor in Portland, and she is Alafair Burke's central character. Burke gives us good but not great characterizations, and a storyline that pulled me in. ( )
  wareagle78 | Apr 18, 2014 |
I am a huge admirer of Alafair Burke's father, James Lee Burke, so I was excited to read his daughter's first mystery. Her style is nothing like his, but really quite good. This is a courtroom drama/detective novel and it was incredibly realistic and believably and ultimately very surprising. A bonus for me was that the book is set in Portland, where I lived for five years--and I recognized many of the places she describes. She does not have her father's gift of creating a strong sense of atmosphere--but she does have her own gift of creating a complex and believable plot and her knowledge of law makes the book especially interesting. The crime itself is detailed a little bit too graphically for me, and this is not the type of mystery I usually prefer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I look forward to her next book. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
While it isn't a book I'll need to read again, I enjoyed this crime novel. The protagonist was realistic--flaws and all, and her patient off-and-on boyfriend wasn't too perfect to be true.

The plot itself kept me going--enough that I had to peek at the end of the book (bad habit, but I just can't break it) a few times.

As a former Portlander of 12 years, I enjoyed the descriptions of the city and its quirks. If I can find copies of the other two Samantha Kincaid novels when I'm in Portland next month, I'll buy them. ( )
  swingdancefan | Feb 17, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312997205, Mass Market Paperback)

After three years on the job in Portland's Drug and Vice Division, Deputy DA Samantha Kincaid gets what she wants: her first case with the Major Crimes Team. Kendra Martin, a 13-year-old runaway, has been found drugged, viciously assaulted, and left for dead in the Columbia River Gorge. Despite pressures to kick the case to assault, Samantha goes for attempted murder. Unfortunately the girl's story isn't gelling. Then again, neither is the alibi of the suspect she ID'd, a low-life who insists he's innocent. One thing is certain. Kendra knows the streets better than Vice-and Samantha's following her down every last one of them to crack the case.

But the road to the truth is more dangerous than Samantha dreamed, leading to an earlier death-penalty conviction, a teenage prostitution ring, and threats to Samantha's own life. When the possibility of a serial killer enters the fray, it sends Samantha's trial into a tailspin, and tests her judgment-in both her professional and personal life-to the very death.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:00 -0400)

"Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid walks into her office in Portland's Drug and Vice Division one Monday morning to find the sergeant of the police bureau's vice unit waiting for her. A thirteen-year-old girl has been brutally attacked and left for dead on the city's outskirts. Given the lack of evidence, most lawyers would settle for an assault charge; Samantha, unnerved by the viciousness of the crime, decides to go for attempted murder. But as she prepares for the trial, she uncovers a dangerous trail leading to a high-profiles death penalty case, a prostitution ring of underage girls, and a possible serial killer. And she finds her judgment - not only in matters of the law but in her personal life - called into question."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible