Hello, Red Fox by Eric Carle

Hello, Red Fox

by Eric Carle

Guests at Little Frog's birthday party include the red fox, the purple butterfly, the orange cat, and other colorful animals. The illustrations are designed to demonstrate the concept of complementary colors.

This was one of my favorite books that I read by Eric Carle. This book was the most interactive and is so fun for kids to see the different animals and different colors. This book is definitely used for helping children learn their colors, their animals, the color wheel, and what complimentary colors are. The book says the compliment of each animal, the green fox is actually a red fox if you look at it long enough! ( )
  ShannaYoung | Sep 16, 2019 |
Eric Carle did an amazing job with this easy reader picture book. He created a fun reading experience for his young readers with a fun story and his wonderful use of colors. I read this book to my 7-year-old son and he was amazed at how the human eye allowed us to see the animals' colors change before our eyes by focusing on one tiny dot. Little Frog and his friends brought the story to life and made this reading experience a fun one. ( )
  KRWallace | Aug 26, 2019 |
A fun book that could be used to teach kids about color concepts! ( )
  Indiam16 | Nov 27, 2018 |
This book would not be considered your typical children picture book. The story begins with a bright red heart with a small black dot along with instructions to stare at the dot for 10 seconds. Then on the blank page next to it their is a single black dot that when looked at turns the heart green. This optical illusion continues throughout the entire book with each new character that is introduced. With each character it is repeated that the we haven't looked long enough. While I do sense a strong meaning behind this story of not necessarily judging a book by it's cover, I do not think a child would understand that from this book. I feel the illustrations were consistently colorful and intriguing as well as were able to convey consistent meaning with the story. This would be great independent read for some students to experience a cool optical illusion. ( )
  cejones4 | Mar 6, 2017 |
Hello Red Fox is a great children’s picture book. The book centers around little frog, who invites different colored animals to his birthday party. Each animal he invites has a specific color, and the animals that actually show up are the wrong color. This mistake is due to his mother who invited the wrong animal friends. The book goes through every animal coming to his party, and every animal is the wrong color. Eventually It gets to a flower that the little frog had asked for, but the flower was the right color. The mother frog then kisses the little frog and the book concludes. The book is full of large colorful illustrations and has repetitive word play throughout. The picture book is short and quite predictable, and would be great for beginning readers. As for a central message, it’s rather lacking but you could possibly take appreciating those who are in your life rather than those you want in your life from it. The frog is stuck on every person not being who he had asked for, when he really should just be appreciating that anyone came. I was honestly expecting with it to come out with some lesson worded out at the end about appreciating what you have due to the fact that anyone came in the first place, but the book instead just suddenly ended. I would rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. Although I enjoyed the images I found the story and central message both lacking and predictable. I imagine that a 3 to 6 year old may thoroughly enjoy it however. Overall this was a good cute book with great images, and would be wonderful for beginning readers. ( )
  NicholasJohns | Oct 4, 2016 |

LIB 428/Lawson desc - I believe that any book that ellicits questions of the reader is a wonderful thing - add the imaginitive color and you have a wonderful combination in this Carle offering. In this book all the animals are colors other than what we have come to know them, and further, can turn a different color through the 'trickery' of the eye and light while staring at the colorful images of the animals throughout the book. What is extraordinary, beyond the fun that will insue with the questioning of the interesting colors of the animals is how this actually works with the eye and could lead to a great scientific discussion in the classroom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,347,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible