Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

Pink and Say

by Patricia Polacco

I love this book because it shows the compassion of another human even during times of distress. I would use this book for 4th/5th grade because of the graphics in the literature, it shows a lot of bloody scenes and death, which I would only find appropriate for an older classroom. This is definitely a book I would use to tach about the civil war and the ways other showed compassion during this really awful time in history. ( )
  rachelpelston | Apr 29, 2016 |
There are a few reasons I liked this book. The first reason was the characters were believable. In a historical fiction book the characters need to be an accurate representation of the setting and time period. The author does this by describing the main characters first interaction; “I had never seen a man like him so close before. His skin was the color of polished mahogany.” The second reason I liked the book was because the plot was an interesting conflict of going back to war after prejudice and injury. For instance, the African American Union solider said “it’s my fight, Say. Ain’t it yours, too? If we don’t fight, then who will?” The big message is that friendship and kindness triumph any conflict. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 19, 2016 |
Genre: Historical picture book
Media: Watercolor
Summary: This book tells us a story back to Civil War. However, when I first looked the name of this book, I did thought this would be a book about the war. t is about how a young black soldier saves a white soldier, which makes readers think about the injustices and discrimination of slavery and the war.
Use: It is also a good book to teach critical thinking. After reading this book, students are able to analyze what is right and what is wrong back to that time, and what do you think of racial discrimination. ( )
  xye15 | Apr 14, 2016 |
3rd-5th
This book would be good for boys and girls interested in the Civil War or American history. The main characters are two boys, so it may be especially appealing to young boys in this age group.
Throughout this book, there is vocabulary that the students will be unfamiliar with. Spend time previewing and reviewing this vocabulary. Additionally, every family has stories that have been passed down for generations, much like the story in the book. Have students, for homework, ask a parent or grandparent about a family story. Have them write it down and bring in to share with the class. ( )
  tsmith18 | Apr 6, 2016 |
I believe this book would be appropriate for an upper elementary social studies classroom learning about American history and the American Civil War. I believe this book would work best as a read aloud as it will give students a chance to comprehend what is happening and discuss things they might have difficulty understanding. As an extension to this book, students could reenact the civil war in their social studies class. By reenacting, students are given the opportunity to further explore the cases, effects, and motives of the war and participants. Another extension would be to have the students write a letter from the perspective of Say in the Andersonville prison camp to a family member. The letter could include topics regarding Say's journey, experiences, friendships, hardships, etc.
  Emily.Clark | Mar 31, 2016 |
Hands and gestures have always been important in Polacco's work. Here they are at the center of a picture book based on a true incident in the author's own family history. It's a story of interracial friendship during the Civil War between two 15-year-old Union soldiers. Say, who is white and poor, tells how he is rescued by Pinkus (Pink), who carries the wounded Say back to the Georgia home where Pink's black family were slaves. In a kind of idyllic interlude, Pink and his mother nurse Say back to health, and Pink teaches his friend to read; but before they can leave, marauders kill Pink's mother and drag the boys to Andersonville prison. Pink is hanged, but Say survives to tell the story and pass it on across generations. The figure of Pink's mother borders on the sentimental, but the boys' relationship is beautifully drawn. Throughout the story there are heartbreaking images of people torn from a loving embrace. Pictures on the title and copyright pages show the parallel partings as each boy leaves his family to go to war. At the end, when the friends are wrenched apart in prison, the widening space between their outstretched hands expresses all the sorrow of the war. Then, in a powerful double-page spread, they are able to clasp hands for a moment, and their union is like a rope. Say once shook Lincoln's hand, just as Say held Pink's hand, and Say tells his children, who tell theirs, that they have touched the hand that touched the hand . . .
added by sriches | editBooklist

Gr 4 UpSay, 15, had never seen a black person up close until Pink, also a young Union soldier, saves his life. During his brief stay in Pink's home, the wounded boy comes to understand his friend's unconquerable vision of freedom. A memorable family reminiscence with evocative paintings. (Oct. 1994)
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal

Follows the story of two boys during the Civil War. One was a slave and one was a soldier. The soldier named Say gets saved by Pink, who was a slave and is taken back to his slave home. It tells the story of this great friendship.

Say Curtis describes his meeting with Pinkus Aylee, a black soldier, during the Civil War, and their capture by Southern troops. Based on a true story about the author's great-great-grandfather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible