Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

Pink and Say

by Patricia Polacco

Sometimes I think Patricia Polacco's writing gets overlooked because her illustrations are so gorgeous. The words in Pink and Say are lovely. This is a true Civil War story handed down through generations of Patricia's family. It's an American story re-told with love and honesty. Unfortunately, kids don't often get to study the Civil War much until high school. This book is a good way for a younger group of children to approach the issues our country faced and the effects of politics on things as close to us as our families. It should have a wider readership than it does. ( )
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
  KristinAkerHowell | Aug 15, 2015 |
I think this would be a great book to use with MS or HS since it shows a real injustice that I think students can see and get fired up about. ( )
  nickietravis | Jul 26, 2015 |
The book tells a story of two boys involved in the civil war who become friends. Say is a white soldier that gets wounded on the battlefield and gets saved by a black soldier named Pink, who is a former slave. Pink takes Say back to his home, where his mother's concern is a predominant part of the book. She discusses her frustrations on the war and the constant struggles she undergoes on the ranch. Pink and Say must go back to war, but their friendship creates a strong sense of strength at the end of the book.
  Robinjhud | Jul 14, 2015 |
“Pink and Say” by Patricia Polacco was an excellent book. It is written in the memory of Pinkus Aylee, an African American soldier who fought alongside Sheldon Curtis in the Civil War. It is written from the perspective of Sheldon, which was really interesting because the entire book is written in his Southern dialect: “I wanted to go back to our farm in Ohio, and sometimes, when I’d fall into one of them strange sleeps, I’d be there with my Ma, tastin’ baking powder biscuits fresh out of her wood stove”. I liked the book because the overall message, and the way this message is portrayed, is very powerful. The main idea of “Pink and Say” is the idea that we must be selfless, and help those in need. Pinkus helped Sheldon when he was on the brink of death, and nursed him back to help when Pinkus himself was also badly wounded. Another reason I liked this book is because it pushes the reader to think about tough issues, the way in which Pinkus was treated is despicable. This book causes the reader to reflect upon the hardships that African American soldiers faced at this time. The last page of the book was very powerful, with the Polacco urging the reader to never forget about Pinkus: “When you read this, before you put this book down, say his name out loud and vow to remember him always”. ( )
  marmig2 | May 4, 2015 |
Hands and gestures have always been important in Polacco's work. Here they are at the center of a picture book based on a true incident in the author's own family history. It's a story of interracial friendship during the Civil War between two 15-year-old Union soldiers. Say, who is white and poor, tells how he is rescued by Pinkus (Pink), who carries the wounded Say back to the Georgia home where Pink's black family were slaves. In a kind of idyllic interlude, Pink and his mother nurse Say back to health, and Pink teaches his friend to read; but before they can leave, marauders kill Pink's mother and drag the boys to Andersonville prison. Pink is hanged, but Say survives to tell the story and pass it on across generations. The figure of Pink's mother borders on the sentimental, but the boys' relationship is beautifully drawn. Throughout the story there are heartbreaking images of people torn from a loving embrace. Pictures on the title and copyright pages show the parallel partings as each boy leaves his family to go to war. At the end, when the friends are wrenched apart in prison, the widening space between their outstretched hands expresses all the sorrow of the war. Then, in a powerful double-page spread, they are able to clasp hands for a moment, and their union is like a rope. Say once shook Lincoln's hand, just as Say held Pink's hand, and Say tells his children, who tell theirs, that they have touched the hand that touched the hand . . .
added by sriches | editBooklist

Gr 4 UpSay, 15, had never seen a black person up close until Pink, also a young Union soldier, saves his life. During his brief stay in Pink's home, the wounded boy comes to understand his friend's unconquerable vision of freedom. A memorable family reminiscence with evocative paintings. (Oct. 1994)
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal

To the memory of Pinkus Aylee

Follows the story of two boys during the Civil War. One was a slave and one was a soldier. The soldier named Say gets saved by Pink, who was a slave and is taken back to his slave home. It tells the story of this great friendship.

Say Curtis describes his meeting with Pinkus Aylee, a black soldier, during the Civil War, and their capture by Southern troops. Based on a true story about the author's great-great-grandfather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,995,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible