Economics For Dummies by Sean Masaki Flynn

Economics For Dummies (2005)

by Sean Masaki Flynn

Series: for Dummies

191189,233 (3.67)2

I used this as a review for the economic classes I had in college long ago. It helped me on my Praxis exam to teach the subject ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
To my dad, Thomas Ray Flynn, who always impressed upon me the importance of good economic policy for both improving our quality of life and as our last, best hope for lifting billions out of poverty and disease.
Introduction -- Economics is all about humanity's struggle to achieve happiness in a world full of constraints. There's never enough time or money to do everything people want. And things like curing cancer are still impossible because the necessary technologies haven't yet been developed.

If you think economics is a complicated discipline that’s reserved for theorists and the intellectual elite and has nothing to do with you, think again. Economics impacts every aspect of our lives, from what we eat, to how we dress, to where we live. Economics might be complicated, but it has everything to do with you.

Economics For Dummies helps you see how your personal financial picture is influenced by the larger economic picture. When you understand how what happens on Wall Street affects Main Street and how policies emanating from the White House impact the finances in your house, you’ll be able to:Learn how government economic decisions affect you and your familyMake better spending decisions and improve your personal financesMaximize your business profitsMake wiser investments

Written by Sean M. Flynn, PhD, Assistant Professor of Economics at Vassar College, Economics For Dummies covers all the basics of micro- and macroeconomic theory. The next time you need to understand an economic theory or calculation, whether it’s on the nightly news or on a spreadsheet at work, you’ll no longer be in the dark. Economics For Dummies covers all the history, principles, major theories, and terminology, including:How economics affect governments, international relations, business, and even environmental issues like global warming and endangered speciesHow the government fights recessions and unemployment using monetary and fiscal policyHow and why international trade is good for you even if you don’t appreciate French champagne, Irish crystal, or Swiss watchesHow the law of supply and demand can explain the prices of everything from comic books to open heart surgeriesHow the Federal Reserve controls the money supply, interest rates, and inflationBasic theories such as Keynesian economics, the Laffer Curve, and Adam Smith’s Invisible Hand

Presenting complex theories in simple terms and helping you decode the jargon, understand the equations, and debunk the common misconceptions, Economics For Dummies could be a big boon to your personal economy!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

"If you think economics is a complicated discipline that's reserved for theorists and the intellectual elite and has nothing to do with you, think again. Economics impacts every aspect of our lives, from what we eat, to how we dress, to where we live. Economics might be complicated, but it has everything to do with you. Economics For Dummies helps you see how your personal financial picture is influenced by the larger economic picture."--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,680,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible