Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (2006)

by Debbie Stoller

Series: Stitch 'n Bitch (3)

Debbie does crochet! Debbie Stoller, the "knitting superstar," has been leading an entire movement of hip young knitters with her New York Times bestseller Stitch 'n Bitch and its follow-up, Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, together with over 521,000 copies in print. But guess what? For every one knitter in the world there are three crocheters--which translates into millions of hip, crafty, 18- to 35-year-olds ready to be happy hookers with Stitch 'n Bitch attitude, sexiness, ingenuity, and cool. Written in the author's cheeky chick style, this heavily illustrated book--featuring four-color photographs and instructional illustrations throughout--is chock-full of instruction, inspiration, and to-die-for designs, from a Fishnet Skullcap to a lacy evening wrap. For knitters and new crafters exploring the hook comes the primer: the advantages of crochet and the ways in which knitters (and nonknitters) benefit by learning this sister craft; a discussion of tools; all the cool yarns available, and what the different gauges mean; plus basic techniques and stitch patterns--including the chain stitch, picot, flowers, filet crochet, changing yarns, and finishing. Then come 40 fabulous, funky projects--the kind that make Stitch 'n Bitch rule--for crocheters: Pom Pom Capelet, Retro Clutch Purse, Anarchy Irony Hat, Ms. Pac Man Change Purses, Doris Daymat, Va-Va-Va Voom Bikini, Animal I-Pod Cozies, Kid's Sock Monkey Poncho. No, these aren't your grandma's doilies.… (more)

I've had the knitting version for years - even though I've not caught the knitting bug - but hadn't read the crochet one. Picked it up through Kindle Unlimited and zoomed through it. Really enjoyed the historical information. That was my favorite part. I can't see myself making anything from the patterns included but still enjoyed the book. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Good Instructions at the beginning for when I forget how to do a stitch. ( )
  midkid88 | Aug 14, 2020 |
I’ve been a knitter for many many years, but have always wanted to learn how to crochet but, as my yearly attempts always seemed doomed to failure I was beginning to believe that old saying ‘knitters can’t crochet, and crocheters can’t knit’; until I found this book.

If you are starting from scratch after many frustrating attempts, this is the book for you and is a perfect example of what ‘learn how to’ craft book should be like. Written in a clear and easy to understand manner, which is also laced with humour, this book covers it all. If you are a visual learner, don’t despair, as this little tome is full of easy to understand illustrations that add weight to the ‘lessons’ they are contained in. I found them very useful as, for some reason, when my brain wasn’t prepared to process the words the illustrations helped them sink in and stay there.

The book starts with a brief history of the craft and then progresses from there through tools, getting started, how to read charts and finally finishing with some easy first patterns to follow. It covers yarns and the hooks that go with them, so even the most die-hard knitter will maybe have to shell out a couple of dollars to get themselves started.

The only thing I would say about this book, other than how wonderful it is, is that it would have been nice if the beginners patterns wear more along the line of household items and accessories rather than the usual wearables; however, this didn’t take away from my thorough enjoyment this book gave me, and the feeling of accomplishment that I now have from using it.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who, like me had given up hope of ever learning to crochet. Crocheters who want to learn to knit, don’t despair as this Author also has a book that covers this written in the same fashion.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/08/08/review-stitch-n-bitch-crochet-the-happy-ho...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  TheAcorn | Nov 8, 2019 |
Wonderful instruction and patterns ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
A good book for a skinny bitch if you're interested in crocheting clothes. [author: Debbie Stoller]'s book tends to be a little bit size-ist, but that's pretty standard for pattern books these days. Still, the accessories are *great* and very fun to crochet. I did the "First Aid Purse" for my cousin Alex who's going to nursing school, and it was a huge hit. In general, I'd say it's a book worth owning, at any stage or skill level. Stoller has chosen designs that are attractive and entertaining, some very challenging, and very few are real duds. It definitely belongs in any crochet library. ( )
  voncookie | Jun 30, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

for my mother, johanna c. stoller, who gave me a love of all things crafty

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,220,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible