The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by…

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1986)

by Stephen R. Covey

Recently added bycdiamant, jlb2210, ARMCoweta, Lane.Ballantyne, rbtullis, private library, scotisle, JonathanTagg
Legacy LibrariesPresidential Study (1997)

English (97)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Spanish (3)  Arabic (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (105)
Not a big fan of either mormons or their management books. Not as badly written as the out of the box book, but the constant harping on about church, and higher callings is really offputting.
Im not sure I agree with his ideas, and some of them are so common sense I find it hard to believe that they are sold under such great fanfare. ( )
  amberwitch | May 22, 2016 |
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey represents an ideal, but it is an ideal that makes sense. Do I find myself able to implement to to its fullest? No, but the principles provide a way to center my thoughts and ground myself in my personal and professional life. That is why this book finds a permanent home on my bookshelf and why I still find myself recommending this book to others.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2016/01/the-7-habits-of-highly-effective-people... ( )
  njmom3 | Jan 2, 2016 |
  walterlehmann | Dec 1, 2015 |
This version of The 7 Habits was the first of many, many iterations that Stephen Covey published under the 7 Habits umbrella. No doubt due to the success of the franchise. As a self-help reader I can vouch for the worth of the original though I have not read any of the others.

It's too easy to scoff at the habits as obvious, just as it's too easy to scoff at self-help in general. Actions speak louder than words, and putting habits like Covey's into practice is hard work. If you're curious about self-help, or maybe a little skeptical about its usefulness, then I recommend starting here. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Sep 15, 2015 |
There's some solid advice here. Covey's Mormonism has strongly influenced him. He talks about "natural laws" as set up by God. While this makes me skeptical, I still think there's some useful tools in the 7 habits. As with any self-help book I try to find the advice that resonates most strongly with me. There were several habits that I thought I could integrate into my life, especially about always seeking first to understand, then to be understood. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jul 25, 2015 |
Borrowing slightly from the concepts of Quantum Mechanics, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People begins with the astute observation that people perceive the world differently, and because we view the world with our own unique "lens," it is difficult to separate the observation from the observer.

Covey says that we all have our own paradigm, which is our own map of how we perceive the world and how we think the world should be in our ideal view. Covey writes, "The way we see things is the source of the way we think and the way we act."

There is no real excellence in all this world which can be separated from right living

DAVID STAR JORDAN
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
ARISTOTLE
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
HENRY DAVID THOREAU
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
OLIVER WENDALL HOLMES
Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
GOETHE
In more than 25 years of working with people in business, university, and marriage and family settings, I have come in contact with many individuals who have achieved an incredible degree of outward success, but have found themselves struggling with an inner hunger, a deep need for personal congruency and effectiveness and for healthy, growing relationships with other people.
ISBN 0738504106 - WorldCat and Amazon both return for Rochester Neighborhoods by Shirley Cox Husted and Ruth Rosenberg-Naparsteck
Do not combine with any of the abridged audiobooks, ISBNs are: 188321937X, 0671315285, 1883219973, 0671687964, 0802514553, 0743538528, 0671869469, 1616574925, 1455892823, 0671853236, 0743501071, 0743501535, 1933499397
Unabridged audiobook ISBNs are: 1491586761 [1 CD, MP3, 14 hrs.], 1929494750 [3 CDs, 14 hrs.], 188321923X [8 cassettes and 1 workbook], 1480568317 [14 CDs, 14 hrs.], 1455892807 [MP3, 13 hrs.], 1455892785 [13 CDs, 13 hrs.], 1469200716 [7 CDs, 8 hrs., 15 min.], 1455893560 [7 CDs, 8 hrs.]
Unknown whether abridged or unabridged: 1883219027 [4 CDs, 4 hr., 30 mins. OR 4 cassettes, 6 hrs.], 1929494157 [6 CDs, 5 hrs.], 1599128284, 1883219337 [6 cassettes], 1933976004, 1442354895, 8360313563 [MP3, 12 hrs., 30 min.], 9992006684 [cassette]
Unknown if audiobook is abridged or unabridged
Audiobook - unknown if abridged or unabridged

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743269519, Paperback)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change was a groundbreaker when it was first published in 1990, and it continues to be a business bestseller with more than 10 million copies sold. Stephen Covey, an internationally respected leadership authority, realizes that true success encompasses a balance of personal and professional effectiveness, so this book is a manual for performing better in both arenas. His anecdotes are as frequently from family situations as from business challenges. Before you can adopt the seven habits, you'll need to accomplish what Covey calls a "paradigm shift"--a change in perception and interpretation of how the world works. Covey takes you through this change, which affects how you perceive and act regarding productivity, time management, positive thinking, developing your "proactive muscles" (acting with initiative rather than reacting), and much more. This isn't a quick-tips-start-tomorrow kind of book. The concepts are sometimes intricate, and you'll want to study this book, not skim it. When you finish, you'll probably have Post-it notes or hand-written annotations in every chapter, and you'll feel like you've taken a powerful seminar by Covey. --Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

A leading management consultant outlines seven organizational rules for improving effectiveness and increasing productivity at work and at home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,555,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible