Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (1997)

by Mitch Albom

17,448319201 (3.83)187
A sportswriter conveys the wisdom of his late mentor, professor Morrie Schwartz, recounting their weekly conversations as Schwartz lay dying. Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class", lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, KrystalMaurer, amyotheramy, Clabuesch, tlwright, stantonarchives, Amzster08
    The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Morrie: In His Own Words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (299)  Spanish (7)  French (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (315)
When I was around the age of 18 - the age of majority in Germany - I felt like I had broken through some magical barrier to adulthood. (I hadn’t.)

Now, I felt, it was my sacred duty (it wasn’t) to find out about - imagine a drum roll if you will - nothing lesser than the meaning of life itself. (Didn’t find it.)

Young me contacted the most well-meaning, wisest and awe-inspiring people I knew (not my parents) and asked them indirectly what the meaning of life is. I think I received exactly one answer and that went like “You’ll have to find out for yourself.”. It took me about 20 years to figure that one out:

There is no “meaning of life”. There is just what we figure out we want to do with our lives and how we live it. I have a vague idea for myself but I’m still figuring it out and I think the “figuring it out” part matters much more than the result - especially since for me, said result is always changing. Not in substance but in nuances.

Along comes a book whose author states:

“The subject was The Meaning of Life. It was taught from experience.”

As if that wasn’t pretentious enough in itself, we all have to figure it out for ourselves. And who is either Mitch Albom or Morrie to judge that “So many people walk around with a meaningless life.”?

Albom isn’t a great writer either: His simple style and his child-like adoration of Morris Schwartz drives him to try writing his idol into a pseudo-religious transcendent figure:

“And the things he was saying in his final months on earth seemed to transcend all religious differences.”

I’m sorry, I can buy into Morrie having been a very kind and interesting person but to basically glorify him like that cannot do any person justice.

In its entirety, “Tuesdays with Morrie” feels like a collection of anecdotes, the glorification of the mundane and stating the obvious. Beyond its inherent merit of paying its subject’s medical bills, it wasn’t worth reading for me.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram ( )
  philantrop | Dec 25, 2020 |
Another 1st book for the author Book starts off in High School Graduation. and move through life.. then everything catches up to the people we once thought were a part of our lives... yet we moved on... but now it's time to come back and pay a visit to a man who has a story to tell ... how to really live before you die... and let everyone know that you want them to know and love you before you go. Great book. Easy read.... and well worth it ( )
  loubigfish | Dec 22, 2020 |
Loved it. It is not earth shattering. It’s all those things you’ve heard a million times, but my brain needs that information and perspective repeated. Again and again. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Great story. ( )
  wsteiger | Nov 22, 2020 |
Too harmonious, grand, and overwhelming a universe to believe that it’s all an accident? ( )
  AthulyaGireesan | Nov 17, 2020 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

Mitch Albomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vaccaro, ClaireDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
To my brother, Peter,
The bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.
“I believe in being fully present,” Morrie said. “That means you should be with the person you’re with. When I’m talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on what is going on between us. I am not thinking about something we said last week. I am not thinking of what’s coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another Koppel show, or about what medications I’m taking. I am talking to you. I am thinking about you.”

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,853,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible