Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Mama, Do You Love Me? by Barbara M. Joosse

Mama, Do You Love Me? (1991)

by Barbara M. Joosse

Other authors: Barbara Lavelle (Illustrator)

A young Inuit girl starts by asking her mother how much she loves her. As the mother tells the daughter, very descriptively, how much she is loved, the daughter moves on to hypothetical questions, "What if I fell and the eggs broke?" And then on to fantastical questions, such as," What if I turned into a polar bear?" Each time of course the mother reassures her daughter that she would still be loved. The formula in this book is fairly common in children's books, but the lovely illustrations and sprinkling on traditional Inuit life throughout help it stand apart. ( )
  adrouet | Mar 26, 2019 |
this book was about a mother and daughter relationship. the mother is reassuring the daughter that even after she does certain actions she will always love her.

age- 3-5
sources- pierce county school library
  Eli0079 | Nov 27, 2018 |
This book is about a little girl and her mother and the love they have. It is about a little girls emotions of no matter what she does will her mother love her.
Source- Yelm Library
Age-3 up
  KrystalCrow | Nov 14, 2018 |
I think every child grows to question his or her mother's love. Every mother's response should be similar to this one. Every child wants to know that their mother loves them. This would be a good book to read to students around mother's day. There were a lot of words that kind of hard to read. Those words dealt with the culture within the book. I liked that those words that I didn't understand, such as "ermine", were defined for me in the back of the book and I could sit down and go over them before reading this book aloud. ( )
  atassin | Oct 28, 2018 |
A young girl asks her mother if she loves her. She asks her mother if she would love her in different situations and her mother informs her that she would love her no matter what. This is a great book for young children when teaching them about emotions and the bond of a parent. The book shares feelings that are felt during certain situations and teach children that no matter what a parent will never stop loving their child. I would read this book to my student around mothers day and then do and activity where the student write their mother a note about a time their mother loved them not matter what. ( )
1 vote Jenica_Flores | Sep 16, 2018 |

Barbara M. Joosseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lavelle, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Father Jose Valdez, friend and guide on a remarkable journey. Thank you.
--Barbara M. Joosse

To the children of Alaska -
especially Chip and Mark.
--Barbara Lavallee
Mama, do you love me?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 087701759X, Hardcover)

This exceptional board-book tells a beautiful and timeless story about a daughter's attempt to find the limit of her mother's love. Barbara Lavallee's exquisite illustrations of Alaska, with their exaggeratedly foreshortened perspective and rich tones of violet, blue-gray, and gray-green, tell of an easy declaration ("I love you more than the raven loves his treasure, more than the dog loves his tail, more than the whale loves his spout") that is pushed, and pushed, and ("What if I put salmon in your parka ... and ermine in your mukluks?") pushed. There's a quiet joyfulness in both the antics of the Inuit mother and daughter and in the animals--including a polar bear and a musk ox--that the daughter imagines she might become. A charming story for mothers and daughters of all ages. (Baby to preschool) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:15 -0400)

A child living in the Arctic learns that a mother's love is unconditional.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible