Mama, Do You Love Me? (1991)

by Barbara M. Joosse

Other authors: Barbara Lavelle (Illustrator)

A child living in the Arctic learns that a mother's love is unconditional.

English (110)  Spanish (1)  All languages (111)
An Alaskan Native child asks her mother questions about her love all of which have something to do with Alaskan wild life and scenery in a time before modernity. The author uses a style which is easy for children to follow and fun for adults to read. The questions the child ask are a test of if and how much the mother loves her daughter. In the hilarious and heart warming story the young character learns that there is no limit to her mothers love.
  Cmearls | May 19, 2021 |
"Mailbox", PreK-K, Oct/Nov 1993
All about Me & Families
EDU 271
  AprilGraziano | Nov 16, 2020 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for 3 reasons. The first reason I liked this book was because of the language used. The story is set from the perspective of a Native American family, and the daughter is asking their mother some hypothetical scenarios to see if their mom would still love them. Due to the cultural, throughout the story there are unique examples according to Native American traditions and experiences. For instance, one example used was “what if I put salmon in your parka, ermine in your mittens, and lemmings in your mukluks?” This language is unique to the specific cultural community, which is interesting to the reader. I think that this enhances the message, which is the second reason why I like this book. I think that readers may be challenged to have some deeper thinking. No matter what hypothetical scenario the daughter comes up with, the mother maintains that though she may get angry, or upset, or anything else because of what she did, she will never stop loving her. This is a great message for children that their parents or grandparents will always love them no matter what. The final reason I liked this story was because of the characters. There is a mother and a daughter and they have a very close relationship. This is something that a lot of readers will be able to relate to. The message of the story is about the unconditional love and forgiveness of a family.
  mvanem1 | Apr 3, 2020 |
This story is a simple story which consists of a simple question-and-answer format. But I believe the overlaying message is important to have in a classroom for children who are between the ages of 4-6.
In this book, a little girl continuously asks her mother if she loves her. She begins to create different scenarios about herself and then at the end of every scenario would ask her mama if she "loves her". The mother's response never changes and she tells her daughter that no matter what happens that she will always love her.
I think it's important for children in kindergarten or 1st grade to read this book and understand that a parents love is unconditional and that no matter what happens in life their mother and father will always love them because they are important to their lives. ( )
  Awechs1 | Sep 25, 2019 |
Synopsis: A young girl asks her Mother "Do you love me" and gives increasingly wild situations in which she might test her mothers love

Review: The characters and story use the Inuit Culture as a basis, and the art is done in a stylize way. The story is sweet and cute, and answers a big question children often have. Perfect for young children (2-5), the pictures are colorful and well done and the story is both silly and sweet. ( )
  empress8411 | Jul 8, 2019 |

Barbara M. Joosseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lavelle, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Father Jose Valdez, friend and guide on a remarkable journey. Thank you.
--Barbara M. Joosse

To the children of Alaska -
especially Chip and Mark.
--Barbara Lavallee
Mama, do you love me?

A child living in the Arctic learns that a mother's love is unconditional.

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0811821315, 087701759X, 0811832120, 0811820769, 0811843416

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,942,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible