The Dream of the Earth by Thomas Berry

The Dream of the Earth (1988)

by Thomas Berry

337449,654 (4.23)1 / 16

Within the pages of his book, Berry overviews and examines the relationship between man and the rest of the world and nature. Within the book’s pages the author examines how the idea of man being apart and separate from nature being a myth and how human beings need to learn to be in harmony with the natural world once again. He wonders over how the connections within nature and the world around us should be important to everyone regardless of religion or residence. This book is truly a wonderful read regardless of one’s spirituality over ecology. ( )
  earthlistener | Sep 1, 2010 |
Thomas Berry was called " the most provocative figure among the new breed of eco-theologians" by Newsweek. Berry shows us why it is important "for us to respond to the Earth's need for planetary renewal."
  metlibchurch | Oct 30, 2008 |
Essays questioning what it means to be part of a universe that is alive, by an "eco-theologian" whose thoughts have aroused environmentalists and re-cast views of the relationship between nature and science.
  anne_fitzgerald | Oct 27, 2008 |
To my mind Thomas Berry is one of the definitive contemporary Christian writers on ecology, or creation spirituality, and this is one of his definitive works. ( )
  johnthefireman | Apr 30, 2006 |

Thomas Berryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Swimme, BrianForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Great Red Oak, beneath whose sheltering branches this book was written
One of the more remarkable achievements of the twentieth century is our ability to tell the story of the universe from empirical observations and with amazing insight into the sequence of transformations that has brought into being the earth, the living world, and the human community.

This acclaimed inaugural volume of the "Sierra Club Nature and Natural Philosophy Library" considers our ecological fate from a species perspective, the way "The Fate of the Earth" viewed our prospects for nuclear annihilation. Thomas Berry's seminal thesis proposes a universal 'biocratic' criterion to evaluate human history, development, and activity. He contends that the validity of any human enterprise is the degree to which it enhances the universal life force. Berry builds his case on a comprehensive review of the history of ideas, and he points toward a transformation of consciousness that is needed if we and the planet are to survive."The Dream of the Earth" provides the insights, inspiration, and ethical guidance we need to move beyond exploitation or disengagement toward a transcendent vision of a restorative, creative relationship with the natural world. Drawing upon the wisdom of thinkers from Buddha and Plato to Teilhard de Chardin and E F Schumacher, from ancient Chinese philosophy and Native American shamanism to contemporary astrophysics, Berry forges a balanced, deeply felt declaration of planetary independence from the sociological, psychological, and intellectual conditioning that threatens the death of nature, offering a path that will avert ecological catastrophe and move our traumatized planet toward health.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:32 -0400)

Since Sierra Club Books published the first edition of this book in 1976, there has been a revolution in backcountry cooking. Today's lightweight stoves and kitchen tools make cooking in the wild easier than ever before; with the ubiquitous availability of fast-cooking natural foods, the modern adventurer has tasty alternatives to expensive pre-packaged meals. This book brings together the expertise of culinary professionals and the wilderness knowledge of a former backcountry guide to provide more than 180 trail-tested recipes for natural, easy-to-prepare meals for backpacking, hiking, and camping.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,345,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible