An Affair Before Christmas

by Eloisa James

Series: Desperate Duchesses (2)

Magic under the mistletoe . . . One spectacular Christmas, Lady Perdita Selby, known to her friends and family as Poppy, met the man she thought she would love forever. The devilishly attractive Duke of Fletcher was the perfect match for the innocent, breathtakingly beautiful young Englishwoman, and theirs was the most romantic wedding she had ever seen. Four years later, Poppy and the duke have become the toast of the ton . . . but behind closed doors the spark of their love affair has burned out. Unwilling to lose the woman he still lusts after, the duke is determined to win back his beguiling bride's delectable affections . . . and surpass the heady days of first love with a truly sinful seduction.… (more)
Recently added byArina40, zenalloyd

An Affair Before Christmas by Eloisa James

A darling historical romance. A bride that knows little of the physical nature of marriage and a groom that has endless patience because he’s in love.
Once Poppy is out from under her mother’s harsh criticism and heavy hand, Poppy finds herself pursuing educational knowledge and curiosities. As she learns more of being a naturalist and understanding her own emotions and herself, Poppy’s interest in her husband expands as well.
An enticing and entertaining story where you root for the couple to win.
A touch of religion in the story of the birth but puts the emphasis on the Christmas holiday and the joyous feelings of love and family.

Two main storylines and two couples.

I listened to the audio version performed by Susan Duerden in a mostly French accent.

Book 2 of the Desperate Duchesses series. Can be read as a stand-alone. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Mar 8, 2020 |
4.5*
Woop! I finished on time for the discussion B-) I'll be writing up my full review shortly and will post the link here when I do...for now I am a little conflicted on the star rating. I enjoyed it just as much as the first, but it doesn't feel like an automatic 5 stars? I don't know, I am beginning to realize how much star ratings have to do with how I feel during/after reading than any real algorithm? Just thoughts :-P ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
This is book two in the DD's series, but I've read them out of order (do NOT do that!), and the only reason I finished reading this story was Villiers. I was so glad that at least one third of the story involved him and the consequences he suffered because of the duel he fought. The relationship he cultivated with Charlotte the spinster, was vastly entertaining and I had so much fun following that story.

As for the main plot, characters and substance of the story? It left me wanting and I found it lacking in all the areas that makes romance, a romance.

I barely liked this couple. The heroine wasn't just naïve, she was downright ridiculous. I had somewhat better opinion of the hero, but even he couldn't salvage this story.

My advice to you is to read Villiers parts, and skip the rest.

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
eh, 2 1/2 stars really. the characters i like the most were not the main characters. the couples are all connected though. and they all flirt/make out/get engaged/or more with other folks than the one they will end up with which annoys me greatly. for some reason the main romance is not a couple from the first book. Poppy and her duke were why the saying "young & dumb" came to be. sigh i really want to see what happens with Jemma and her duke, her friend Harriet, villiers and Charlotte.. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

James, Eloisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ice hung from windowsills with a glitter that rivaled glass, and new snow turned the sooty streets to rivers of milk.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,721,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible