The Perry Bible Fellowship: The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories

by Nicholas Gurewitch

A collection of the abstract "The Perry Bible Fellowship" comic strips includes a selection of never-before-published strips.

The full-color book is nicely produced and contains a bunch of comics from the site mixed in with at least some that I had never seen before. At the end are some annotated outtakes and extras that provide a little insight into Gurewitch's comic-making system. The three-panel format is a perfect constraint for the rough chuckles in these tiny, harsh, universes.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-perry-bible-fellowship-trial-of.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Jul 2, 2014 |
Most of the book is just reprinting strips from the web, but it's still a blast to read. I've read nearly everything in this book and it still makes me laugh. Several strips I needed to read multiple times before I got the joke, but once I did, it's hilarious. There's a section at the end of strips he's rejected for various reasons, and while I mostly agree with his reasons for rejecting them, a couple are laugh-out-loud funny.

More sex and nudity than I recalled, though, so I might have some trouble adding it to my teen collection as planned. The characters aren't realistically drawn, so it might not be a problem. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
A bit formulaic, yes, but so,so funny and terrifying. Helped keep all those unicorns and shit real in the mid-oughts. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Apr 7, 2010 |
Almost all of these strips are unfunny. They fail to elicit a laugh. The "twisted" nature of the strips is presented in a "I'm so witty and different than all of you" kind of way by the author. The air of superiority is completely unflattering. Don't bother with this book. ( )
  jreinhart | Feb 25, 2010 |
I love these twisted little comic strips. Often the jokes are phenomenally wrong, but always fantastic. And you can tell Gurewitch spends a lot of time on his artwork. This'll take you half an hour to read, and you'll feel like a better person for it, because even though you laughed at it, at least you didn't create it. ( )
1 vote Antholo | Sep 16, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,454,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible