Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised…

Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land

by David K. Shipler

I finish this book a more knowledgeable person, a person with more insight into not only this situation but of humanity. I'm also walking away with a stronger sense of gratitude than ever for the luxury of my life. I'd like to say that I ended it with hope, but that wouldn't quite be true. It's more a hope of having hope.

I feel as though I should say more about this magnificent 700 page volume, but my heart feels a bit bruised from reading it and I find that I have no more words.

I received a complimentary copy of the 2015 Revised and Updated version of this book via the Goodreads giveaway. Many thanks to all involved in providing me with this opportunity. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jul 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book a great read if you have ever wondered why there are problems in the Middle East. I thought Shipler treated both sides fair and gives insight to an issue that keeps confounding political people. It makes one wonder if there is even a will by the leaders of both sides to solve a problem that neither side makes the moves to solve the issues. ( )
  foof2you | Nov 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A comprehensive look at the longstanding tension between the Jews and the Arabs. Shipler exams the many facets of the conflict and cultural tensions that have plagued the region for such a long time. He takes a fair-minded stance and gives us a compassionate and humane look at the people themselves and the burdens that the conflict places upon them. The pace of the book is steady and keeps the reader engaged. The author cites a tremendous range of primary sources.

A great behind-the-scenes look at the complicated issues that prevent real movement toward reconciliation and peace.
  editfish | Jun 11, 2016 |
This is the history of the relationship between Arab and Jew. Shipler painstakingly traces the prejudice back to its origin and examines the cultural, religious, and socioeconomic divide that has existed ever since. Shipler's reporting is exemplary. He is unbiased but obviously very concerned about the everyday ordinary people just trying to survive in this land of unrest. Shipler's voice is at once delicate and forthright in his descriptions and details involving terrorism, nationalism, and political conflict. He refers frequently to information he has collected from textbooks of various grade levels to demonstrate the education & "miseducation" of middle eastern children. ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a revision of an in-depth look at the feelings and beliefs of Jews and Arabs in 1986, before September 11th. It has been revised in 2002 and again in 2015. The occurrences that have changed some of the text are noted parenthetically or in footnotes.

The book is an attempt to get close to both Jews and Arabs by a journalist, attempting to be sympathetic to both sides although not to violence. The picture he paints is one of harshness and ill treatment by both. The two sides are shown to have a very poor knowledge of each other and trust has eroded rather than improved. It is a heartbreaking book for someone who had hoped for the two state solution.

The election of Hamas to control in Gaza, the growth of the Israeli right wing and the settler movement , the applause and rewards to suicide bombers , the refutation of the truth of the holocaust and the teaching of the need to kill the infidel, make peace seem impossible to achieve.

I recommend the book to everyone who thinks about Israel and/or the Palestinian cause. The writer is a journalist from the New York Times and he interviewed both Jews and Arabs. In anecdotes and narrative he paints a picture of the beliefs and feelings on both sides. As he was neither Jew nor Arab, I had confidence in his attempts to be objective and non-judgmental.. ( )
  almigwin | Mar 17, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142002291, Paperback)

The correspondent for The New York Times in Jerusalem from 1979 to 1984, David K. Shipler brings a very American moral commitment to the problem of Arab-Jewish relations. The occupation of the West Bank was by then a static fact of life; many young Israelis and Palestinians had grown up knowing no other reality. The Israeli invasion of Lebanon and the massacres of Palestinians by Lebanese militiamen at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps, which were under Israeli control, had shaken the consciences of many American Jews. Many of the voices in this book are American, from idealistic young secular Jews working for Arab-Jewish cooperation to the more fanatical followers of Meir Kahane. This work, which won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction, gives Shipler's narrative the power of a terrible family argument.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

The Jew, according to the Arab stereotype, is a brutal, violent coward; the Arab, to the prejudiced Jew, is a primitive creature of animal vengeance and cruel desires. In this monumental work, David Shipler delves into the origins of the prejudices that have been intensified by war, terrorism, nationalism, and the failure of the peace process.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David K. Shipler's book Arab and Jew was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible