The Autobiography of St. Thérèse of…

The Autobiography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux

by Saint Thérèse de Lisieux

Review: Saint Therese of Lisieux/The Story of A Soul Translated by John Beevers.

Saint Therese was born in Alencon, France on January 2, 1873 and passed away at a very young age of twenty-four on September 30, 1897, a nun, in the infirmary of Carmel of Lisieux, a small town in Normandy. She wrote this book herself and it was more of a journal of memories, thoughts, prayers, and conversations she had with a few superiors, family, and silent communications she had in her mind with Jesus and God.

She was asked by Mother Superior at the convent to consider writing down whatever she was feeling, experiencing, and thoughts that burdened her to ease any spiritual misgivings she might have. They believed she was chosen to be a profound spiritual writer. Plus, Pope Pius XI, who called her Little Flower knew how devoted she was and how fast she attained knowledge of supernatural things in such an abundance that she was able to point out to others the way to salvation. What seemed like little miracles or visions she proclaimed were so strong that they knew she had the gift of communicating with Jesus the son of God and that he was guiding and protecting her. For the short time she was on earth they believe she was chosen by God to rejoice and follow Jesus to the Eternal light.

She was never healthy as a child and struggled through what little time she had. She knew from the age of three she wanted to enter into a Catholic spiritual life. Her mother died when Therese Martin was very young so she and her siblings were raised by their mother’s friend and their father. Her father supported her decision but kept telling her they would not allow her to enter until she was eighteen or older. Therese was thirteen and wouldn’t give up asking to be allowed to make her sacraments to join the Catholic Religious Group. She sought help from the priest at her church and other superiors for permission. She no longer went to school because of her off and on illnesses.

Her father finally got permission to take her to Rome to see the Catholic Administers there and hopefully Pope Pius XI. It wasn’t completely decided that day so Therese was sent home with the understanding that when she turned fifteen they would discuss the issue again. It’s not what she wanted to hear but she knew Jesus would expect her to make some sacrifices that sadden her. Therese’s story goes on and she does sacrifice many things but she was enlightened and happy because she knew she had been accepted and would someday be united with God. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 5, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
I was really excited to read this book, but my expectations were not met. It tells the wonderful story of St. Thérèse, but at points it really drags on. Her writing style is simple, and really shows her humility and love for God. I would definitely recommend the book, I just don't think it was my style. ( )
  b22johansen | Dec 20, 2014 |
C'est bien écrit. Sainte Thérèse partage ses pensées au sujet de Jésus. Elle as eu une vie sainte.

Je voudrais lire plus au sujets des vies des saints. ( )
  RKoletteL | Aug 22, 2013 |
I was so wrong about St Therese! I really didn't know anything about her and what I did know made me believe she was a selfish child -- how wrong I was! After reading her autobiography, I am definitely going to consider her one of my Patron Saints. I love her 'Little Way' and the way in which she explains her love for Christ and His love for her -- being a child and Jesus being a Father.

It was truly a fantastic read : ) ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jun 28, 2012 |

de Lisieux, Saint Thérèseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edmonson, Robert J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, VernonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knox, Ronald ArbuthnottTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Translated from the critical edition by John Clarke, OCD, 3rd ed. (1997). Includes general and biblical index, with 8 pages of photos.

Two and a half years before her death in 1897 at the age of 24, as Thérèse Martin began writing down her childhood memories at the request of her blood sisters in the Lisieux Carmel, few could have guessed the eventual outcome. Yet this Story of my soul, first published in 1898 in a highly edited version, quickly became a modern spiritual classic, read by millions and translated into dozens of languages around the world.
Decades later, in response to growing requests from scholars and devotees of the Saint, a facsimile edition of the manuscripts appeared, along with more popular French editions of what the Saint had actually written. Here, expressed with all of Thérèse's original spontaneity and fervor, we rediscover the great themes of her spirituality: confidence and love, the little way, abandonment to God's merciful love, and her mission in the church and world today.
Father John Clarke's acclaimed translation, first published in 1975 and now accepted as the standard throughout the English-speaking world, is a faithful and unaffected rendering of Thérèse's own words, from the original manuscripts. This new edition, prepared for the centenary of the Saint's death, includes a select bibliography of recent works in English on Thérèse, along with a new referencing system now widely used in studies of her doctrine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:59 -0400)

Translates the autobiography of nineteenth-century French saint Thérèse of Lisieux, which was finished shortly before her death at the age of twenty-four and shows her devotion to Christ and her desire to spread his love to those who suffered.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,194,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible