The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane by…

The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane

by Joanna Cole

Another wild adventure with Ms. Frizzle and her class. In this book, they are studying weather. Naturally, Ms. Frizzles takes them on a field trip. However, along the way to the weather station, they are distracted by a hurricane. Rather than fleeing from it, the Frizz takes her class into the heart of the storm, so they can study the details of such extreme weather up close. Although they all fall out of the hot-air balloon (the school bus's first transformation), they are scooped up by an airplane (the bus's second transformation), and move through the several layers of the hurricane. Through the eye wall, into the eye of storm, then back out of it to crash land when the bus runs out of gas. Fortunately, a tornado picks them up out of the storm surge that would have flooded them, and gently sets them down by a gas station. They finally make it to the weather station, with enough information that they can teach the weather forecasters a thing or two about hurricanes.
  astinchavez | Nov 7, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book because I learned about hurricanes. It really explained how they occur, in what conditions they will happen and what the different parts of the hurricane are. I enjoyed reading it and learning about hurricanes. At one point in the story Arnold fell out of the bus and landed in sea. It was funny and entertaining and I learned a lot.
The overall goal of this book is to really go in depth and look at a hurricane and what causes them. ( )
  Madison94 | Sep 23, 2014 |

While every magic school bus adventure is exciting, this may be the most high adrenaline trip of them all. The bus transforms into a hot air balloon and a plane, the children fall through the air in a hurricane, and they hitch a ride on a tornado. In the midst of this insanity, the students learn all about the formation of hurricanes and the weather effects associated with them. I learned more about hurricanes than I ever knew before. Despite the criticism of some readers (who find the blending of fantasy and scientific fact detracts from the learning), I love this series. The books liven up the instruction of complex scientific topics, and are just fun adventure stories to read. As long as you take the time to discuss the difference between fantasy and reality with young readers, I see no down side to this classic series of children's nonfiction. ( )
  nmhale | Aug 30, 2014 |
Summary: Miss Frizzle takes her class to learn about hurricanes, but its not your typical class field trip. She takes them to the inside of a hurricane and explains what happens and when.
Reading level: Intermediate
Genre: Fantasy
  rdg301library | May 27, 2014 |
I liked this book because of the informational aspect, but I found the illustrations to be very overwhelming. I wasn't able to really read them as a child because there was too much going on on each page for me to keep track of the story. I preferred the television show. Trying to read this book was difficult for me. However, the authors include a lot of important information about hurricanes in the plot itself, so I learned some things about hurricanes. I think I would really have to take a good chunk of time to organize all of the information in my head for me to really appreciate this book. I also like at the end that the authors include "The Magic School Bus Mail Bag", which is where pretend people send letters in that essentially call out the book on things that could never happen. For example the Coast Guard wrote a post card to the editors that read, "A fishing boat probably would not survive if it were out in a very strong hurricane", because a fishing boat rescued Arnold after he fell from the hot air balloon. The editors also include a note to all readers: "Some of the things that happen in this book are make-believe. But of course, all the science is real! Joanna & Bruce". I think this was a nice touch to make sure readers know that they should not take the entire book as something that could really happen. They need to recognize that safety is important. The big idea of this book is to be open to adventures because you never know what you will learn, and this is conveyed through the reluctance of many students about going on another field trip, but they end up learning a lot and are able to have intelligent conversations with the weather people they meet at the end of the day. ( )
  lstec2 | May 2, 2014 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degan, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

Count on Ms. Frizzle to teach anything but an ordinary lesson on meteorology. Flying through the clouds in the Magic School Bus, Ms. Frizzle's class experiences a hurricane-and even a tornado-firsthand. During their thrilling ride through the sky, Arnold gets lost! Will the Friz be able to save the day this time?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:13 -0400)

Ms. Frizzle takes her class on a field trip to a weather station and they end up in a hurricane.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible