The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty by…

The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty (1980)

by Eudora Welty

This omnibus volume by one of the South's greatest writers includes stories published prior to 1980. Stories are as good in themselves and as influential on the aspirations of others as any since Hemingway's. The breadth of Welty's offering is finally most visible not in the variety of types--farce, satire, horror, lyric, pastoral, mystery--but in the clarity and solidity and absolute honesty of a lifetime's vision.… (more)
    The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Welty and Jackson work with similar character types and have similar themes and writing styles. Other than those fans who enjoy Welty primarily for her station in Southern Lit., I'd say that fans of one writer will likely enjoy the short stories of the other.… (more)

difficult to get through. i had nothing in common with her characters. mostly i couldn't remember who the characters were or maybe she never told us, ( )
  mahallett | Apr 3, 2018 |
I'm reminiscing about college days... when I first discovered some brilliant southern writers. So I'm looking again at Eudora Welty, hoping I can find this book used somewhere.
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
I gave this an attempt, reading four of the short stories, before deciding I just don't like it all that much. At the end of the stories I either had to make sure it was really the end, or found myself saying, "Huh?" Maybe that's more of a commentary on my ability to be intellectual than on Welty's ability to write a good story for me. Her style of writing is actually quite amazing, for the most part. It was the point of the stories or the endings that I felt were really not speaking to me. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |
I picked this book up for Why I live at the P.O.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Finished Welty's first collection, A Curtain of Green and Other Stories, published in 1941. Highly recommended. My favorite stories include "Keela, the Outcast Indian Maiden," "A Curtain of Green," "Old Mr. Marblehall" and "Why I Live at the P.O." Of the 17 stories here the only one that doesn't seem to work is "Powerhouse"--perhaps because of all the dialogue rendered in dialect. Everything else has held up remarkably well. ( )
1 vote William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
I was nineteen years old in 1981 when I first read Eudora Welty. It was an experience characterized by a sense of immediate recognition and also by the shock young people sometimes feel at the realization that their elders are far less concerned with good behavior than they themselves are.

Eudora Weltyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, HermioneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

VIRAGO EDITION:
Eudora Welty is one of the finest writers of the American South and her astonishing ability to 'enter the mind, heart and skin of a being who is not myself' is uniquely demonstrated in this extraordinary collection of stories.
Deaf-mute child, jazz player, bigamist - all are portrayed with perfection and clarity. From small town Jackson to plush New Orleans, Eudora Welty encapsulates in a snapshot of prose the place, the people, the idiosyncrasies of her native country and brings them to life with the grace and intelligence of a born storyteller.
This complete collection includes all the published stories of Eudora Welty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible