Came Back to Show You I Could Fly by Robin…

Came Back to Show You I Could Fly (1989)

by Robin Klein

I was trying to think of the author of this book the other day and I saw it in my school's library!

So glad. I've been wanting to review this book. I really liked this book when I read it in high school. I thought it was a pretty important book. It discussed drug use (without explicit examples, only references) in an age-appropriate way. I was a little bit older than I needed to be to read it, so I didn't enjoy it as much, but I thought it was really accessible.

I liked the characters, I liked the narrative voice despite the young age of the narrator. I thought this novel was well-structured and provides kids with an accessible book to read about and discuss drugs, drug use and its effects in a safe, contained environment.

I think this is one of Robin Klein's earlier books, and you can tell that her writing style is not as evolved. I enjoyed this, though, and think it's a solid effort for a novel. 3.5 stars from me. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Came Back to Show You I Could Fly is a coming of age story. It proves that you can over come anything you want and that you can gain more and more self respect and confidence. ( )
  DaffiMere | Mar 13, 2015 |
Robin Klein is an author I remember from my younger years, spending hours between my school's library and the local one. I remember that I read a few of her books, the only problem being that aside from Hating Alison Ashley, I couldn't remember any of the titles of the ones I read and when I look at Klein's list of MG/YA works I'm not sure if the titles seem familiar because I read them or just because I saw them on the shelves a lot. So when I came across (as I do!) Came Back To Show You I Could Fly in one of my secondhand store haunts for a dollar, I thought why not?

Seymour is eleven years old and stuck with a friend of his mother's for the summer holidays. While escaping some unfriendly kids in the neighbourhood, Seymour finds himself in the yard of 20-year-old Angela, by whom he is immediately captivated. She brings colour into his dull, boring world just by her presence. But there's a lot more going on in Angie's world than Seymour realises.

This novel shows a different view of drug addiction from the eyes of a naive young boy. Seymour is smitten by Angie but he also notices her mood swings, her strange sleeping habits where she seems 'sick', her tense relationship with her family and her erratic personality. It takes Seymour a little while to realise what's really going on in Angie's world and when he does, his personal development is outstanding. He shows the courage needed to confront someone who uses drugs as Angie does, and then the progress made in his own life, read in Postscript, is heart warming. Its as if his friendship with Angie, even as unstable as she was, gave him the courage to be a more active participant in his own life. Remarkable.

3.5 stars ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
Genre Bildungsroman
Reading age 12 to 15

Awards:
Human Rights Medal for Literature, Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission, 1989. CBCA Book of the Year Award, Older Readers, 1990. COOL Award winner (Secondary Readers) 1992

Annotation:
Seymour is a lonely little boy, a victim of his mother's paranoia. When he is sent to stay with a fussy guardian he meets the dazzling Angie. Theirs is an unusual friendship but each help the other-Angie prompts confidence in Seymour and in turn Seymour helps Angie confront the truth about her addiction and circumstances. ( )
  tsheko | Sep 8, 2007 |
An inspiring story of a drug addict named Angie who takes under her wing a young boy named Seymour to build up his confidence while discovering in herself a will to live. A great story. ( )
  Mazzie | Apr 26, 2007 |

It's the summmer holidays and eleven-year-old loner, Seymour, is bored. He meets Angie - beautiful, charismatic Angie who bewitches him and opens up his world but Angie is not as she seems. She is a drug addict.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,504,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible