Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog

Lakota Woman

by Mary Crow Dog

Series: Lakota Woman (1)

English (9)  French (1)  All languages (10)
This book made me cry. It also brought dreams--good, powerful dreams. Furthermore, it inspired me to think about miscommunication in English. "I understood how mom was feeling. She was wrapped up in a different culture altogether. We spoke a different language. Words did not mean to her what they meant to us" (57). I think barriers within a language are especially pertinent in regards to conversations about ethnicity. Certain words can bring about white guilt, which can end a dialogue in defensiveness. However, Mary Crow Dog does a wonderful job of speaking truth. ( )
1 vote Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
Excellent read! An inspiring story of one woman who found the way to rise above what exists around her to create something somewhat better. This is not a sunshine & roses happy ending kind of story. But what she accomplishes with the means she has is much to be admired! Mirrors much of what I learned from a young friend among the Sioux people at the beginning of the '70s & saw unfold through those troubling years. A compelling read as well. Sheds clear light on some ugly, unwelcome truths along the way. ( )
1 vote SusanRSanders | Feb 18, 2014 |
This was a great depiction of an activist in the very heart of a movement. Mary Crow Dog was at several big events of the American Indian Movement, such as the seizure of the Bureau of Indian Affairs building and the seige at Wounded Knee. She gives a very readable summary of these events from an insider and tells the story of her life as a Sioux. I never got around to the latter third of the book, which looked to focus mainly on the revival of Sioux spirituality.
I'd highly recommend this book to anybody interested in modern Sioux history, the AIM or activism in general. ( )
2 vote JHFrazier | Apr 1, 2011 |
Lakota Woman is the autobiography of Mary Crow Dog. She is a Sioux Indian; also known as the Lakota. She didn't have much growing up on the reservation. She when to missionary school. The Sioux are a people that take care of each other as a group taking care of young and old. They do not save money or food like some. Sometimes that will honor the family ties up to the sixth generation, giving their last dollar. It is about the family community not the idividual. Mary was a loner though she was interested in perfume make-up or dresses, like some girls of the sixties and seventies. She was afraid of the white people and didn't really socialize with them. She married Leonard Crow Dog,a medicine man. Together they were part of a group to bring back the Sioux way of life including the Ghost dance.

I enjoy Indian history and stories .I thought Crow Dog shared herself well.
I would recommend this book to the Upper Grades. ( )
  ShortyK | Oct 21, 2010 |
history of Indian US relations after westward expansion ( )
  CynthiaScott | Feb 9, 2010 |

Mary Crow Dogprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erdoes, Richardsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A nation is not conquered until
the hearts of its women are on the ground.
Then it is done, no matter
how brave its warriors
nor how strong their weapons.
~ Cheyenne proverb
I am Mary Brave Bird.

Mary Brave Bird grew up fatherless in a one-room cabin, without running water or electricity, on a South Dakota Reservation. Rebelling against the aimless drinking, punishing missionary school, narrow strictures for women, and violence and hopelessness of reservation life, she joined the new movement of tribal pride sweeping Native American communities in the sixties and seventies and eventually married Leonard Crow Dog, the movement's chief medicine man, who revived hte sacred but outlawed Ghost Dance.

Lakota Woman is a unique document unparalleled in American Indian literature, a story of death, of determination against the odds, and of the cruelties perpetrated against American Indians during the last several decades. It is also a deeply moving account of a woman's triumphant struggle to survive in a hostile world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

A unique autobiography unparalleled in American Indian literature, and a deeply moving account of a woman's triumphant struggle to survive in a hostile world. This is the powerful autobiography of Mary Brave Bird, who grew up in the misery of a South Dakota reservation. Rebelling against the violence and hopelessness of reservation life, she joined the tribal pride movement in an effort to bring about much-needed changes. Now a major movie from TNT.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,951,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible