M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action by Robert Asprin

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (1990)

by Robert Asprin

Series: Myth Adventures (9)

Recently added byprivate library, smithart, claymichaels, Buehlmann, Sammystarbuck, sarah4uk

So fun, so many bad puns, such awesome mobsters. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Barely 3 stars. Not nearly as funny as the earlier books. The plot went nowhere and the characters vacillated between smart and ridiculously inept. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Author: Robert Asprin   3.5 Stars of 5   Synopsis Guido and Nunzio must somehow stop Possiltum's army from invading everybody. So they join the army to destroy it from within. And hijinks ensue.     My Thoughts   The whole book is written from Guido's point of view, along with his language. So instead of Skeeve blundering through the narration, we get Guido skillfully informing us of the events.   It was a refreshing change at first, but then started getting a little old after nothing was happening. You can only take so much 'mob talk' with loquacious asides for so long.  Thankfully, there was a bar fight between the soldiers, the town police, the bar patrons and the military police. I was crying I was laughing so hard. But ymmv.   Overall, I found this a refreshing change from Skeeve's fake it and make it approach to life, and the bickering between him and Ahzz, I didn't miss that either. A good addition to the Myth books.     crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.wordpress.blogspot.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1990.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: Aahz, frustrated with the loss of Skeeve’s emotions has skipped town to return home. Skeeve finally sees the error of his ways, and feels he must go and try to make amends with his long time friend and partner. In the meantime, a serious assignment has come up, that he leaves for the rest of the crew. They must return to Possiltum, the kingdom Skeeve originally worked in, to stop the impending war. Problem is, this goes against his contract with the mob (though he likely never thought about it), and everything the team does seems to backfire, and make the army more efficient instead of less so. (This story is actually resolved in the next volume, which I do not currently have.)

Notes for the reader: In this story, this author takes the emotions of his characters seriously. The characters don’t just race through the story full of action without emotion. The author realized the importance of the reader connecting to the characters by giving us the emotions, and even the reasons behind those sometimes odd emotions for the situation. While the first few times, it is a shock to the system to actually read of a character having an emotion, soon, it just becomes an enhancement to the story. In fact, when the lack of emotions by the main character becomes apparent in a later story, even that is noted by all the characters, until it is resolved. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
MYTH
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Robert Asprinprimary authorall editionscalculated
FangornCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foglio, PhilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velez, WalterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With affection and apologies to my many foreign translators, especially those at my German publisher, Bastei Lubbe!
"Name?"

M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action - When Skeeve "The Great" asks two bumbling bodyguards to join the army of Posiltum, they volunteer without question. But with war heroes like these, who needs enemies?
Sweet Myth-tery of Life - The well-meaning magician Skeeve is drowning in a sea of romance. But only one of his nubile suitors can assure his future - and maybe even keep him alive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044155282X, Mass Market Paperback)

An officer and an idiot...

Guido and Nunzio may not be the brightest bodyguards in the world-but they certainly are faithful. When Skeeve "the Great" asks them to join the army of Possiltum, the two thugs volunteer without question...

Except: Whose side are they on?

Queen Hemlock's? The Mob Fairy Godfather's? Skeeve's? The two baffled bodyguards barely have time to figure it out-they've been handed government-issue crossbows, armored with leather skirts, and given combat orders by the dreaded drill sergeant Smiley!

With war heroes like these... who needs enemies?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible