The Unknown by K. A. Applegate

The Unknown

by K. A. Applegate

The Unknown is a weird, weird book which certainly made me wonder if Animorphs has hit its silver age. The first have of the story is actually pretty decent. Horses don't really seem like the logical choice to by the Yeerks second target on Earth and the curiosity of what the artefact in Zone 91 actually is makes for a good hook to keep the reader's attention. There is even a little fun to be had (I love the part where Cassie finds herself forced to run in a horse race). However, then there is the second half...

At least The Unknown is action packed and it's by no means the worst Animorphs book so far. But what the Hell is Visser Three thinking? This is one of his stupid moments, as previously seen in The Secret, where he suddenly behaves more like a Looney Toons villain than the commander behind an alien invasion of Earth. When the Horse Controller plan fails, Visser Three even admits that it was a stupid idea and they should have just infested some of the human soldiers at the base. Yes Visser Three, why was that not Plan A? Or why didn't you use your morphing powers just to waltz straight in there yourself?

Yet The Unknown is by far the most tolerable "Cassie" story to date as at least it didn't hinge on her animal activism. Hopefully, this change in her character will stick and she'll start to focus more on stopping the Yeerks than protecting animals. I suppose we'll have to wait until her next book to find out. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Sep 8, 2016 |
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Animorphs was a good series that kept me reading. Enjoyed these as a kid. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |

There's a new rumor in town. Someone has discovered an item that proves life on other planets exists. And they've been hiding it on a base called Zone 91: the most secret place on Earth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,226,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible