The Hermit of Eyton Forest by Ellis Peters

The Hermit of Eyton Forest (1987)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (14)

English (20)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
A hermit, a servant, a child under the protection of the monks at Shrewsbury Abbey, an avaricious grandmother and a dead body populate the pages of the next installment of the Brother Cadfael chronicles, The hermit of Eyton Forest. As usual, Cadfael sees things that others do not and solves the mystery while helping the child, Richard Ludel.

There is no map in this volume and one would have been useful to understand where the action is taking place. All-in-all, an average Brother Cadfael mystery. ( )
  fdholt | Jun 24, 2019 |
This one took me a bit longer than usual to get through. When Richard Ludel Sr. dies at the early age of 35, his son, currently cloistered with the monks at Shrewsbury is demanded to return home by his overbearing grandmother. Father Abbot Radolphus is determined to honor the decedents wishes to educate the boy until he is old enough to manage the Eaton estate on his own. His grandmother has other plans - to marry him off at age 10 to the neighbor's daughter. At the same time, a hermit, Cuthred, takes up residency in the hermitage on the Eaton estate and with him, a young helper Hyacinth. Hyacinth, creator of mischief falls in love with the forester's daughter, but meanwhile is being pursued by another who believes him to be a fled villein. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jan 29, 2019 |
This was a decent mystery novel. I liked the characters and the story itself was fine. What kept it from a higher rating for me was the anti-climactic ending. It kind of just fizzled out when the murderer was revealed. Even Cadfael kind of went, "Oh well." Loved the historical elements so I will definitely continue the series. ( )
  jguidry | Nov 3, 2018 |

Genre: Mystery
Pages: 240
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

A young novitiate's father dies. His grandmother wants him to come home so he can marry a neighbor's daughter so the grandmother can rule all. However, the father's wishes were for him to stay at the Abbey and learn until he reached his majority.

At the same time, a saintly hermit and his young assistant move into an abandoned hermitage. A landowner comes looking for his runaway serf and is murdered. The young heir also goes missing. All of this is happening while the war between Stephen and Maude continues apace.

Cadfael must put the pieces of this puzzle together while making sure that justice is served and mercy has its place.

My Thoughts:

Cadfael was almost a background character here. It was more about the hermit's assistant than anything else. And his story was all about “young love” conquering all. It kind of made me roll my eyes. I guess I'm getting too old and cynical.

I still enjoyed the overall story but I'm not sure that Cadfael tagging along while everyone else does the actual work makes this a Brother Cadfael Mystery. However nothing here is going to stop anyone from continuing this series. If you've stuck around this long, you'll keep on sticking around. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to complain like a son of a monkey about the tenuous link.

★★★☆☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jul 28, 2017 |
Every time I read a book by Elis Peters (Edit Pargeter) I am reminded why I simply devour them: she is an incredible writer. She has a tremendous descriptive talent. The Hermit of Eyton Forest is another excellent example of Elis' fantastic skills. A couple of examples: "[...] the sense of enlargement that seemed to swell the soul to inhabit and fill the last arches of the vault, as a single drop of water becomes the ocean into which it falls." And: "[...] God, Who can read both the lines and between the lines, and Who in the end, in matters of passion as in matters of justice, will have the last word." These kinds of beautifully crafted phrases are to be found everywhere in her books. I highly recommend any of the Cadfael series. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |

Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová, StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was on the eighteenth day of October of that year 1142 that Richard Ludel, hereditary tenant of the manor of Eaton, died of a debilitating weakness, left after wounds received at the battle of Lincoln, in the service of King Stephen.

Während im Jahre 1142 in England ein Bürgerkrieg tobt, ereignen sich in der Benedikterabtei von Shrewsbury beunruhigende Vorfälle. Ein Schüler des Klosters, der ein großes Vermögen erbt, verschwindet spurlos. Ein Mann wird im Wald nahe der Abtei ermordet aufgefunden. Der Verdacht fällt auf den geheimnisvollen Eremiten im Eyton Forest und seinen jungen Begleiter.

The vigilantes of the Sisterhood reorganize as a secret group called the CIC and dedicated to serving their friend, the president of the United States, Martine Connor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,398,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible