Tortured for Christ (1967)

by Richard Wurmbrand

After years of imprisonment and solitary confinement, enduring inhumane torture, Richard Wurmbrand emerges with a powerful testimony of courageous faith. Even today, believers are suffering and dying for Christ, yet their faith will not falter under the most unthinkable persecutions. In this stirring account, Wurmbrand (founder of The Voice of the Martyrs) encourages us to remember those in chains and equips us to help our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ around the world.… (more)

94 pp pamphlet, c. 1967
  janesveska | Apr 27, 2018 |
This is a story that I don't think I will ever forget. A story of courage, faith and endurance through horrible and unspeakable persecution, and a story of hope. It caused me to realize what many are going through in countries where freedom to share a Christian witness is forbidden. These Christians though are standing firm in their testimony for their Lord. I can understand how and why the "Voice of the Martyrs" began and it gave me pause to realize how little I knew about what other Christians are experiencing around the world. I encourage all to read and be moved beyond words to pray and help those who are a part of the "underground church" around the world. ( )
1 vote judyg54 | Aug 22, 2017 |
This is a short biographical account of a Romanian Pastor imprisoned and tortured for his Christian faith by the Communists just after the second world war. He spent a total of 14 years in prison, was eventually ransomed and released and moved to the West to encourage others to support "The Underground (persecuted) Church" in many countries. He founded "Voice of the Martyrs," which continues to work in countries around the world to this day.

Although the author states that he cannot go into graphic detail about the torture he endured at the hands of evil men. He proceeds to give seriously disturbing detail which some readers may not appreciate. He was placed in solitary confinement for 3 years!

"In solitary confinement, we could not pray as before. We were unimaginably hungry; we had been drugged until we acted like idiots. We were as weak as skeletons. The Lord's prayer was much too long for us- we could not concentrate enough to say it. My only prayer repeated again and again was, "Jesus, I love You."

Personally I felt challenged when reading this and forced to ask myself questions about how far I would be willing to go for my Christian faith. The detail is not in any way included for entertainment or to assist the author in obtaining spiritual one-up-man-ship. I believe the author's main purpose in writing these things was to try and shock people into doing something to help the persecuted church. His passion, dedication and commitment to the cause resonate throughout the book and are compelling. Many Christian's have been and will continue to be seriously convicted about their own roles in this Gospel and help ministry to those that are suffering for Christ, this can only be a good thing.

I note the complaints in various reviews about the author's negative/judgemental comments about Western Christian's. His attitude is that they are unconcerned, indifferent, apathetic and lacking in prayer for their brethren in crisis in other parts of the world. One reviewer's response which I would echo is that when reading/hearing criticism of ourselves we should examine (through Scripture and prayer) whether the things that are being said are true. If they are we should seek to address them and if they are not we should disregard them. Wurmbrand's opinion about Western Christian's may or may not be accurate, (in my view it is pretty accurate and has become more so in recent decades as this book was written a long time ago.) But, we cannot disregard his experiences and fail to help the persecuted church based on our prejudice towards him as an individual and how he chose to express himself. The things he experienced are happening around the world and the underground church does need help.

To those that don't believe the content of the book (which I also read in some reviews.) I can understand the skepticism due to various Christian Biographical books being removed from sale due to the "made-up" stories. Wurmbrand has on his body the scars from the torture he endured at the hands of his persecutors as he revealed this during a public meeting. Again I believe he did this to capture the attention of people rather than for personal gain.

I tend to believe the content of this book and that the author (who has since died) was a sincere soul seeking to follow Jesus and being willing to give up everything for that call. Ultimately only God knows his heart but we can all be challenged by his story and encouraged to get more involved in helping those suffering persecution in any way that we can.

I would encourage adult Christians to read this book.

2 vote sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
In this book, Pastor Wurmbrand talks of his time spent in prison for being a Christian pastor. He spends around 14 years of his life in prison. This book does not give all the details of what happened but give a general overview. He finishes this short book with plea for the Western world to send supplies and books to the people who do not have bibles as easily available to them. He believes that much of the West just turns a blind eye to the Christian persecution in the east.

Anyone who has had to go to prison and be tortured deals with things and has a different outlook than the normal person. reading this book gives more of a sense of the daily struggle he had for people who were scared to share their faith in areas where they would not be imprisoned. ( )
1 vote JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Dedication: The Rev. W. Stuart Harris, General Director of the European Christian Mission, London, who, when I was released from prison in 1964, came to Rumania as the first messenger from Christians in the West. Entering our house very late at night, after having taken may precautionary measures, he brought us the first words of love and comfort as well as the first relief for families of Christian martyrs. In their name I hereby express our gratitude.
I was brought up in a family in which no religion was recognized.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,014,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible