Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise…

by Kim John Payne

"Today's busier, faster society is waging an undeclared war on childhood. With too much stuff, too many choices, and too little time, children can become anxious, have trouble with friends and school, or even be diagnosed with behavioral problems. Now internationally renowned family consultant Kim John Payne helps parents reclaim for their children the space and freedom that all kids need for their attention to deepen and their individuality to flourish. Simplicity Parenting offers inspiration, ideas, and a blueprint for change- Streamline your home environment. Reduce the amount of toys, books, and clutter as well as the lights, sounds, and general sensory overload. Establish rhythms and rituals. Discover ways to ease daily tensions, create battle-free mealtimes and bedtimes, and tell if your child is overwhelmed. Schedule a break in the schedule. Establish intervals of calm and connection in your child's daily torrent of constant doing. Scale back on media and parental involvement. Manage your children's screen time to limit the endless deluge of information and stimulation. A manifesto for protecting the grace of childhood, Simplicity Parenting is an eloquent guid… (more)

Brilliant. I just bought a copy after finishing it and plan on reading it over 2021 with Bre (my wife) to apply his advice. His approach to parenting included much more culture critique and practical suggestions than I expected, and I loved it. Nuggets of wisdom throughout.

Hopefully I'll write a thorough review after finishing it a second time.

nrt43 | Dec 29, 2020 |
The first section is a lot of justification for simplification that gets repetitive. The rest of the book is excellent and offers a lot of practical ideas. ( )
  wellreadkid | May 12, 2017 |
The author, a former Waldorf teacher, manages to convey the best elements of Waldorf as it applies to family life without getting into anything I disagree with. I skimmed some chapters, but feel that it was reasonably concise nonetheless. It's a good piece of encouragement for anyone wanting to simplify their family life by decluttering, inserting breathing room into over-packed schedules, and creating low-key grounding points in the family's routine. I especially liked the way the author explained how simple, non-fussy, and un-ritualistic these moments of re-connecting could be -- less about lighting biodynamic candles and more about simply being present for your kids in a reliable, mostly predictable way. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
I would recommend this to every parent I know...or at least in my head I would. It seems to me as if this book could be right for everyone...but I am sure I would be wrong :)

I have too many things to write about how much I liked this book. I suppose you would be better off reading the ongoing discussion on this book here on goodreads.

I read this one slowly to let it all sink in. There are so many manageable steps presented in the book - with great real life examples. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Game-changer for our family. Too much stimulus (toys, tv, schedule) is not only stressful for kids, it's damaging to them. Inspired me to get rid of half our toys, and so glad I did. Would recommend to every modern parent. ( )
  MorganGMac | Feb 13, 2014 |

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,917,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible