HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Kydd (2001)

by Julian Stockwin

Series: Kydd (1)

Thomas Paine Kydd, a wig-maker from Guildford, is seized by the press gang, to be part of the crew of the 98-gun line-of-battle ship Duke William. The ship sails immediately and Kydd has to learn the harsh realities of shipboard life fast.

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
read 11-23-2017
  trexm5qp7 | Nov 23, 2017 |
Having read [Tyger] as part of the LT Early Reviewers program and been impressed, I wanted to read the whole Kydd series. This one is the first novel concerning the press-ganged Kydd into the Royal Navy which is fighting the French--how he gets his start, rises from ignorant landlubber to learning seamanship: to "hand, reef, and steer". He comes to love the seafaring life. Along the way, he has a mentor: Bowyer, who "shows him the ropes" and makes a friend of a member of the gentry, Nicholas. Bowyer was a good device to explain something of shipboard life in the 18th century--to me as well as to Kydd. The novel did not lack for exciting adventures.

I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the nautical jargon. This novel was not as good as the later one, but this novel gave me a taste of the nautical life--not as good as the later one. but it is a promising start to the series. I know it will be as enjoyable as the Hornblower series. I wish there had been a labeled line drawing of the "Duke William", a Dramatis Personae of the men with their ranks, and a nautical and slang glossary. The mens' speech in dialect was easy to comprehend for the most part.

Recommended. ( )
  janerawoof | Sep 29, 2015 |
Fair start to a promising series. Factual basis sound and some good characters that should sustain. Details about life below decks interestingly detailed and compelling.. ( )
  jamespurcell | Oct 25, 2013 |
A or maritime books this story is not for you.

The author is very detailed in his description of nautical life on an English ship of the line in the 18th century. One needs to be very patient when reagood book with respects to all things nautical. If you're not in to nautical ding because of all the terms used which can be overwhelming and down right confusing.

The story overall is not new, young man gets pressed in to the king's service, young man suffers trials and tribulations, young man comes to love the life he is leading.

Most of the characters are definitely rich in unique personalities but I think the two main characters needed a little more depth. This may happen in subsequent novels. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jul 16, 2012 |
So imagine it’s the year is 1793 and you are sitting in a nice little tavern, enjoying a drink. A shout is heard, and you immediately stand up and make your way to an exit – you’re just an ordinary wig-maker, not used to hard labor. Instead, you are grabbed and, along with several other men, tossed into the hold of a ship – your future that of a pressed sailor for His Majesty’s Navy.

So begins the story of Thomas Kydd – a young wigmaker who is forced to look into living life as a sailor. This book was harshly written, but once I got used to the language, the nautical terms, and – much like Thomas, finally got a feel for my bearings within the story, things started to come to life. The descriptions of life on board a gunner are so vivid, I could almost smell the salt-water. Julian Stockwin pulls no punches when it comes to life, death, or punishment in between. (I also made the mistake of becoming attached to a character.. big mistake.)

I picked this book a while back because I thought, mistakenly, that it was about William Kidd, or Captain Kidd. It isn’t – but it still is an interesting seafaring adventure as told from the eyes of a common, pressed man, rather than someone of higher ranking. I very highly recommend this if you are a historical or wartime story lover. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Jan 16, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

Kydd (1)

Julian Stockwin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,790,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible