The Letters of Abelard and Heloise by Peter…

The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (1616)

by Peter Abelard, Heloise

English (7)  Swedish (1)  All languages (8)
Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs. Apparently, Peter Abelard was no exception. In addition too being one of the great scholars of his time, he was like all 4 of the
Beatles, his love songs to Heloise were heard in every street. No one seems to know how Heloise felt about that. Why, I'd rather have my phone number on the men's room wall, than...oh, never mind! Seriously, this great romance was in fact a deeply flawed relationship from the start, Abelard's sense of entitlement was so out of control, he felt entitled to the very best, and took it. What's love got to do with it? Nothing. Perhaps they did come to love each other in the end, when no more could be done about it. But this so-called great love was in fact an abusive relationship in the guise of many a tabloid romance. ( )
  translynx | Aug 5, 2018 |
  OberlinSWAP | Aug 1, 2015 |
Thanx for letting me read it!! :-) enjoyed! ( )
  jennifferhope | May 14, 2015 |
Ah, Peter Abelard. The only person in history to have become more of a dick because he lost his dick. (Though something tells me he was a pretty narcissistic jackass even before then.) As aware as I am that these letters are a wonderful historical source, rereading them only fills me with the urge to go back in time and punch Abelard in the neck. And then to take Heloise to one side, explain the concept of 'internalised misogyny' to her, fix her a strong drink and then talk her through why emotional abusers are bad for you. (Seriously, reading through these letters for the first time since the Twilight craze hit? Inspired some comparisons between Abelard and Edward Cullen.) ( )
2 vote siriaeve | Nov 15, 2010 |
she loved him and so she wrote to him ( )
1 vote | humdog | Feb 19, 2007 |

Pope, AlexanderTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Radice, BettyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scerbanenco, CeciliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stouff, LouisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oft sind es eher Vorbilder als Worte, die menschliche Leidenschaften entweder erregen oder besänftigen.
There are times when example is better than precept for stirring or soothing human passions; and so I propose to follow up the words of consolation I gave you in person with the history of my own misfortunes, hoping thereby to give you comfort in absence.
At least some of these editions also include additional writings such as Historia calamitatum, and two hymns by Abelard: Sabbato ad Vesperas and In Parasceve Domini: III. Nocturno.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140442979, Paperback)

Abelard and Heloise are nearly as famous a pair of tragic lovers as the fictional Romeo and Juliet; their shared passion for knowledge, religious faith, and one another sealed their destiny. Abelard was a well-respected, 12th-century Parisian scholar and teacher, and Heloise was his talented young student. The two relate their story through a set of letters to one another and intimate acquaintances. Their ardor is unmistakable; as Abelard writes to his love, "So intense were the fires of lust which bound me to you that I set those wretched, obscene pleasures, which we blush even to name, above God as above myself..." This forbidden lust resulted in a pregnancy and secret marriage, and when their union could no longer withstand the challenges in its path, each lover sought refuge in the church--Abelard became a monk and Heloise an abbess. Their correspondence continued as both achieved success in their new careers but continued to struggle with their feelings for one another; the set of letters powerfully articulates the wide range of emotions they experienced. So timeless is their love story that--after eight centuries--their passion, their devotion, and their struggle still resonate with readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

This translation includes Abelard's account of his misfortunes (Historica calamitatum); four of their personal letters; the 'letters of Direction', in which he advises her how to adapt for women the rule of Benedict; correspondence btween Heloise and peter the Venerable and two Abelard's hymns.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,078,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible