Verses That Hurt: Pleasure and Pain from the POEMFONE Poets

by Nicole Blackman

What are are holding right now in your hands is a book. Not a telephone reciever, which is how most of the poems in this collection were first transmitted...There are plenty of examples of this spreading of one art form or another through popular mediums. There are all those wonderful Russian Constructivist posters, Dr. Alphabet's public poetry gatherings on football fields, Dada caberet antics, and various forms of street theatr...Essentially what all of these movements were trying to do was expand the playing field called "art". By making the field bigger they gave us all more room to frolic. They pushed art right out of the dusty museums and smack dab into your lives... Poetryshould be everywhere, and slowly but surely it's infiltrating our lives. We are gla dto be the instruments of this infiltration." --from the Introduction Featuring Penny Arcade, Tish Benson, Nicole Blackman, David Cameron, Xavier Cavazos, Todd Colby, Matthew Courtney, M. Doughty, Kathy Ebel, Annie Elliot, Janice Erlbaum, Allen Ginsberg, John Giorno, John S. Hall, Bob Holman, Christian X. Hunter, Shannon Ketch, Bobby Miller, Wanda Phipps, Lee Ranaldo, Shut-Up Shelly, Hal Sirowitz, Sparrow, Spiro, Edwin Torres, Emily XYZ With unabashed fervor the Poemfone poets are redefining poetry as we know it. Archaic literary rules that have never been bent have suddenly been broken., andVersusThat Hurt chronicles this poetic phenomenon. This is a revolutionary gathering of disparate and brash talent that is not to be missed.… (more)

I assumed this was on the S&M side when I bought it, which is why I picked it up. It still has interesting stuff in it, just not what I thought it was. ( )
  JesEcho | Aug 26, 2017 |
A very nice collection of poems by various authors that I thoroughly enjoyed. ( )
  joyfiction | Feb 8, 2011 |
While some of these stand out, there are others that you feel could have used a bit more time. Still, this is an original anthology with quite a bit of work that will leave you thoughtful and wanting more. As a whole, I'd recommend it. The work here is thoughtful and engaging as a whole, and the poems are not so risque or graphic as the title suggests, by a long shot, which serves as reassurance or warning as your tastes might go. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 21, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,003,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible