Everyman (2006)

by Philip Roth

The hero of Everyman is obsessed with mortality. As he reminds himself at one point, "I'm thirty-four! Worry about oblivion when you're seventy-five." But he cannot help himself. He is the ex-husband in three marriages gone wrong. He is the father of two sons who detest him, despite a daughter who adores him. And as his health worsens, he is the envious brother of a much fitter man.… (more)

English (90)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (109)
L'amaro bilancio colto dal protagonista dopo un drammatico viaggio tra i ricordi. Una vita di macerie alla quale non è concessa redenzione o espiazione, ma solo il rimorso indotto dalla raggiunta consapevolezza. Un'analisi attenta, stesa con uno stile impeccabile. Un romanzo amaro, ma indimenticabile ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |
„Tatsächlich hat sich Roth jetzt, im Alter, selbst übertroffen“ (Der Spiegel) Philip Roth’ neuer Roman ist eine intime und doch universale Geschichte von Verlust, Reue und stoischem Gleichmut. Der Bestsellerautor des Romans „Verschwörung gegen Amerika“ verlagert seine Aufmerksamkeit nun von „der erschütternden Begegnung einer Familie mit der Geschichte“ (The New York Times) zum Kampf eines Mannes gegen die Sterblichkeit. Roth zeichnet das Schicksal seines Jedermann nach, von der ersten schockierenden Konfrontation mit dem Tod an dem idyllischen Strand seiner Kindheitssommer über die familiären Wirren und die beruflichen Erfolge in seinem Erwachsenenleben bis hin zu der Zeit, als ihm die Hinfälligkeit seiner Altersgenossen und die eigene Gebrechlichkeit zusetzen. Das Terrain dieses gewaltigen Romans ist der menschliche Körper. Sein Thema ist das, was wir alle erleben und was uns doch so erschreckt.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
I picked this book from my shelf knowing that Roth had died a few days earlier and ashamed of not having read any of his books yet, despite having a few shelved for years. I didn't know then that I was about to read the musings of an aging man, reflecting on his life and the death of those around him, the fragility of his health, his many regrets, and the loneliness that he sunk in during his last years. This aging man, then I learned, resembled much of Roth himself -who had written the book at age 73- and, while it would be too early for me to judge without having read his many other works, it appears to me that the author wanted a chance for redemption with this book. One could empathize with male writers if only for the clarity and mastery with which they can ask for forgiveness in their late works, but then again, those who do not have the gift of the written word and suffered their neglect and selfishness do not have that much of a chance for empathy. ( )
  csaavedra | Apr 15, 2020 |
I read this book around the time that my uncle passed away from a largely undiagnosed illness. As a man of half his age, I witnessed with excruciating clarity the potential to exchange one phase of life for another, with little loss of proximity to those who were around you most.

Philip Roth seems to alluded to this theme through the story of a man that is, at the very least, relatable. The protagonist's evident professional success provides just the right amount of framing to a series of events that unpacks his personal relationships.. The sub-par relationships have been mangled by the ever-present threats of an everyman's life. Any honest reader should be able to pull something of worthwhile from this story. Perhaps Roth is suggesting that our actions, teetering between right and wrong, have consequences that are far reaching and always at arms length.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read, but I can't say whether this this because of the prose or the very appropriate timing. Regardless, it's short enough. You'll be finished reading before you decide whether or not to like it. ( )
  Jacob_In_St.Louis | Nov 24, 2019 |
Hoopla digital, 7/19/18, heard approximately one hour, godless, interesting, insightful into how godless person processes life
  keithhamblen | Jul 19, 2018 |

Kamoun, JoséeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kooman, KoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mantovani, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, Hans-JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dream when the day is thru,
Dream and they might come true,
Things never are as bad as they seem,
So dream, dream, dream.
-- Johnny Mercer,
from "Dream", popular song of the 1940s
the rare occurrence of the expected...
--William Carolos Williams,
from "At Kenneth Burke's Place," 1946
To J.G.
The Swede.
Around the grave in the rundown cemetery were a few of his former advertising colleagues from New York, who recalled his energy and originality and told his daughter, Nancy, what a pleasure it had been to work with him.
You fight your superficiality, your shallowness, so as to try to come at people without unreal expectations, without an overload of bias or hope or arrogance…and yet you never fail to get them wrong…You get them wrong when you meet them, while you’re anticipating meeting them; you get them wrong while you’re with them; and then you go home to tell someone else about the meeting and you get them wrong all over again…[T]he whole thing is really a dazzling illusion empty of all perception, an astonishing farce of misperception

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,564,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible