Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis

Schulz and Peanuts (2007)

by David Michaelis

A portrait of the late creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip evaluates how his career was shaped by his midwestern working-class origins, family losses, and wartime experiences, offering insight into how familiar storylines closely reflected Schulz's private life.

A really interesting book, it offered a whole lot of insight into the Peanuts comic strip which, especially after Schulz's death, we all take for granted.

Reading this biography made me seek out the older strips (a heck of a lot more funny than the "Classic" strips recycled in papers today). Also, knowing some of the stories and people in Schulz's life and how they influenced and inspired strips gave me a whole new level of appreciation.

The picture of Schulz was a pretty fair one, talking of his transgressions as well as his virtues, but what I most got out of this book was a renewed interest in Linus, Lucy, Schroeder, Peppermint Patty, a look at the forgotten members of the gang: Violet, Shermy, Patty I, and of course, good ol' Charlie Brown ("How I hate him!). ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Too much mommy complex and depressing stuff
I did enjoy the comics, though
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
A fascinating biography of an enigmatic man. Peanuts stands on its own as in many ways universal in its messages and experiences. But seeing how the biography of Schulz intersects with and influences his cartoons added another layer of understanding.

The final two sentences are poignant and profound: "To the very end, his life had been inseparable from his art. In the moment of ceasing to be a cartoonist, he ceased to be."

Well worth reading. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
I've liked Peanuts for a long time, but didn't really know much about Charles Schulz. I enjoyed learning about his early life and how he came to cartooning/comics. The middle of his life made me wonder as he and his first wife grew apart and divorced. I thought it was interesting that his last comic strip coincidentally ran on the same day that he died.

At times the narrative seemed a bit disjointed--bopping to various times and places in different chapters. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Apr 28, 2017 |
An eye-opening account of the shy, bookish and ambitious military man who created the most popular comic in newspaper history. ( )
  br77rino | Apr 29, 2016 |
We'll probably never see each other again. --Dena Halverson Schulz
To Jamie and Henry and Diana.
Preface: When Charles Schulz died, he left behind fifty years of clues about his life embedded in his cartoons.
The great troop train, a quarter-mile of olive green carriages, rolled out of the depot and into the storm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,903,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible