The Secret of the Old Clock

by Carolyn Keene

Series: Nancy Drew (1)

5,141951,542 (3.76)97
Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.
Recently added byAshlynde, GACS, lily_TheHUFFLEPUFF, davinaf, private library, DixieCausby, twiglt, ejmw
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey

English (93)  Swedish (1)  All languages (94)
So *very* dated, and so very class and propriety aware. Nevertheless, a decent read, and I've high respect for the boundaries it broke. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
I haven't read this series since I was in middle school, and I've been itching to do a re-read for YEARS. Well, I had just as much fun as I remembered when I was a kid. Nancy is most def. a Mary Sue, but that didn't annoy me. I love a good mystery, and seeing her coolly use her wits to deduce clues about her reminded me how thrilling that was to have such a self-sufficient protagonist to read about. In this mystery, Nancy is determined to find the last will of an elderly man who promised his fortune to deserving and impoverished relatives, while the only will known to exist left his fortunes to the haughty Topham family. Hijinks ensue.

This book is VERY dated, but I found a real charm in that. I was enthralled by the idea that Nancy went around the county in her convertible, running errands for her dad and solving mysteries along the way. I'm looking forward to continue the series. I think I'll read the "original" set from the 1959 revision onward, so I'll be confining that to Books 1-56, since those are the ones I read as a kid. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
I needed something quick to read for the Banned Book Week prompt for Popsugar, and this fit the bill nicely! It was definitely huge blast of nostalgia to return to this book, and I had a lot of fun reading it and remembering the books I'd read (and been read--when I was really little, Nancy Drew books were some common bedtime stories for me and my siblings) a long time ago. It's definitely very very apparent that this is a book for children, and that it was written ninety years ago, but it was a lot of fun! ( )
  forsanolim | Oct 25, 2020 |
I never read these as a kid, but as a curious children's librarian I thought it was delightful. I was reminded of watching Perry Mason with my parents... vintage mysteries where the good guys always win. I could see myself devouring the whole library collection. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
I was just as shocked as anyone when I started to read "The Secret of the Old Clock" and found Nancy to be annoying. She and the other characters are sketched so thin and the whole story in this one was just off-putting. I also didn't think that Nancy was some great detective. She went snooping (those meddling kids) in order to find a missing will and also because she disliked the relatives who stood to inherit.

"The Secret of the Old Clock" has Nancy Drew in her first stand alone mystery. Nancy is 16 in this one I think. She ends up driving along and almost hits a kid and ends up stopping to see to her. Doing that, she ends up meeting two sisters, (the Turners) who are poor and struggling to raise the kid (sorry about not remembering her name she was so unimportant though). The Turners not knowing Nancy at all tell her about the fact that they were counting on inheriting money when their rich older relative, Josiah Crowley passed away. They tell Nancy he promised to provide for them so they are confused now that he has passed, he left everything to the family he was staying with, the Topham's.

There is very little development in any character in this book. We hear how attractive Nancy is, we know that Hannah is the housekeeper/mother figure who is always making Nancy her meals. Nancy's father, Carson Drew, is an attorney and is all yes my dear you must investigate, but do be careful.

I also thought it was kind of gross that you had three separate groups of people aside from the Turners who were all pretty upfront about saying that Josiah was going to leave them money. It didn't seem as if anyone even cared that the old guy had passed away to me. And the shaming of the Tophams for wanting expensive things and Nancy and her father acting as if they were low-class for having expensive things was surprising to me. I read later on that this book was a slam on the noveau-riche class and I can definitely understand that. Apparently if you don't have old money, you just don't belong.

This book also takes place in the 1930s so there is some definite language that is old-fashioned. And I maybe laughed at the idea of anyone talking about how expensive it was for singing and dancing lessons. The way the book is written, the aunts were going to need thousands upon thousands of dollars for that.

The ending was okay, we have Nancy realizing pretty quickly were the will ended up and then it was her somehow dealing with a gang of thieves (as one does) in order to obtain the will. Everyone lives happily ever after, except for the Tophams. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benson, Mildred Wirtsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paretsky, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[1930 edition] "It would be a shame if all that money went to the Tophams!"
[1959 edition] Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of eighteen, was driving home along a country road in her new, dark-blue convertible.
ISBN 044809570X is for The Hidden Staircase.
ISBN 0448416735 is for the Nancy Drew Starter Set, books 1-6.

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

Nancy Drew searches for an old mantel clock hoping that it contains clues to find a missing will.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,958,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible