Lions and Shadows: An Education in the Twenties

by Christopher Isherwood

Isherwood's evocative and sensitive account of childhood and youth in the 1920s. WITH A NEW INTRODUCTION BY JAMES FENTON Subtitled 'An education in the twenties', this work blends autobiography and fiction to describe the inner life of a writer evolving from precocious public school boy to Cambridge drop-out at large in London's Bohemia. It contains thinly veiled portraits of Isherwood's contemporaries Auden, Upward, and Spender, whose intimate friendships and cult of rebellion shaped the literary identity of England in the 1930s. Witty and outrageous, Isherwood pokes fun at the stars of his generation, above all himself, even as he testifies to their unique early gifts.… (more)

Ishyvoo before he becomes his true self. The story of a diffident young man up to the point when he sets out for Berlin.
  ivanfranko | Jun 5, 2020 |
I probably would have enjoyed this a little more if it wasn't so many years since I last read anything about Isherwood; this book is sort of autobiographical but somewhat fictionalised, and having the underlying facts straight in my head would probably made both the life and the fiction more fun. ( )
  mari_reads | Mar 3, 2012 |
Have you ever wanted to read about W.H. Auden poking at Christopher Isherwood's back acne? I didn't know I did, and you probably don't either! But you do, really! IDK, I love Isherwood and Auden - if I still played the Sims I'd make wee computer versions of them and they'd have amazing domestic adventures - and this account of their early relationship (and Isherwood's frittered youth) was like homoerotic literary crack for my weird craving. If you enjoyed their bitchy dialogue in the Beeb adaptation of 'Christopher and his Kind', then go read this, now. ( )
1 vote whitsunweddings | Sep 16, 2011 |
Witty and clever novel. Set in 1920s England, with Christopher Isherwood's usual high standard of good prose. The novel has some very clever characterisations and for me an enjoyable read. ( )
  CarolKub | Jun 18, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,688,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible