The Rosenberg File by Ronald Radosh

The Rosenberg File (1983)

by Ronald Radosh, Joyce Milton

This highly acclaimed book--voted one of the ten best books of the year by the \'New York Times Book Review\'--was hailed as the definitive account of the Julius and Ethel Rosenberg case. It now includes a new introduction that discusses the most recent evidence and provides information from the Verona papers and Soviet sources.… (more)

Professor Harvey Klehr has chosen to discuss Ronald Radosh and Joyce Milton’s The Rosenberg File, on FiveBooks as one of the top five on his subject - Communism in America, saying that:

"...What the authors do with this book is to provide the first thorough, scholarly and objective examination of the case. They really produced a marvellous book which demonstrated that Julius Rosenberg in fact was guilty and that he had run a very large and effective espionage operation for the Soviets...."
The full interview is available here: http://thebrowser.com/books/interviews/harvey-klehr ( )
  FiveBooks | Mar 5, 2010 |
This exhaustively researched book -- all 608 pages of it -- is as much about understanding the nation's anti-communist psyche in the 1950s as it is about what some have called the most publicized spy hunt in history.
The authors don't reject the guilt of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. But they challenge the notion that they were crafty traitors whose theft of the atom bomb secret helped to end Amerca's nuclear weapon monopoly. The depict the Rosenbergs as "hapless scapegoats of a propoganda war," painting them as victims of shoddy judicial maneuvers and FBI intimidation tactics. ( )
1 vote brianinbuffalo | Apr 15, 2007 |

Ronald Radoshprimary authorall editionscalculated
Milton, Joycemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Who was telling the truth--the Rosenbergs or Greenglass? Who was telling the truth--Sobell or Elitcher? It will be a long time, if ever, before we know for certain. We may wake up one morning to learn that the Rosenbergs were guilty. We may wake up to learn that they were innocent. But I doubt whether we will ever find there was a deliberate frameup. Fanaticism had the same momentum on both sides. I. F. Stone, I. F. Stone's Weekly, July 2, 1956
In traditional warfare, espionage is a sideshow played out against the larger drama of troop movements, campaign strategy, and battles. But in a Cold War, espionage takes center stage and the unmasked spy or traitor becomes the surrogate for the enemy soldiers who never venture within range of the front lines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,183,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible