Ish by Peter H. Reynolds

As suggested by my classmate, Olivia, I found this book to be sweet as can be. A young boy's opinion of his art becomes tested when an older brother makes an unkind remark. Struggling to find his inner artist, many of his drawings are crumpled up and thrown away-- or so we think. We later learn that his sister, who's loved his art all along, has hung them up in her room. ( )
  NDeBlieux | Apr 25, 2019 |
This book is so cute, and the best part for me is that all of the characters are siblings. I have 4 siblings, and there have been many instances in our lives that we have acted exactly like these kids in the book. Sometimes we would tear each other down, and other times we were the best ones to lift each other up when we were sad. This book is also a good book for students to read to learn that they are unique and that's okay. Just because you do not draw the way that other people draw or expect drawing to be, does not mean that your artwork is not any good. I really enjoyed this book, and I think it would be a great tool for all students to read and gain inspiration. ( )
  oleger | Apr 25, 2019 |
A cute way to prove that you can be confident. ( )
  Morgan_Lindsey20 | Apr 9, 2019 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. Firstly, I really loved the illustrations. The lines of the drawings are soft and squiggly throughout and the coloring is warm pastel. It represents the creativity that Ramon desires to express. I also love the point of the story, which is that Ramon’s creativity is valuable even through his drawings don’t look exactly like the original thing he intended to draw. The story shows readers that Ramon’s artistic style is unique and valid. Once he accepted that his drawings weren’t exact depictions, he could create art freely, drawing things like “fish-ish,” “afternoon-ish,” and “sun-ish.” He could even capture “ish” feelings with his drawings. The ending is also really cute. Ramon experiences a wonderful feeling which he felt he couldn’t capture, so instead of trying to draw the feeling, “he simply savored it.” The story ends with Ramon sitting on a rock by the water and just enjoying the moment.
  vbazuz1 | Feb 5, 2019 |
After Ramon's brother judged his drawings he finds himself trying to get everything just right. Luckily his little sister steps in to remind Ramon of his love of drawing freely. This book teaches readers to do their best at whatever it is that makes them happy. ( )
  nicolehalbur | Jan 21, 2019 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362344X, Hardcover)

A creative spirit learns that thinking "ish-ly" is far more wonderful than "getting it right" in this gentle new fable from the creator of the award-winning picture book THE DOT.

Ramon loved to draw. Anytime. Anything. Anywhere.

Drawing is what Ramon does. It¹s what makes him happy. But in one split second, all that changes. A single reckless remark by Ramon's older brother, Leon, turns Ramon's carefree sketches into joyless struggles. Luckily for Ramon, though, his little sister, Marisol, sees the world differently. She opens his eyes to something a lot more valuable than getting things just "right." Combining the spareness of fable with the potency of parable, Peter Reynolds shines a bright beam of light on the need to kindle and tend our creative flames with care.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

Ramon loses confidence in his ability to draw, but his sister gives him a new perspective on things.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,738,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible