Preston Falls: A Novel by David Gates

Preston Falls: A Novel

by David Gates

200390,089 (3.6)4
A New York yuppie takes time off work, ostensibly to repair his country house, but in fact to get away from his family. A guitar player, he befriends members of a band whose leader enrolls him as a drug courier and eventually his marriage goes bust. The tale of one man's midlife crisis.

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
An outstanding start - perfectly paced, beautifully written with a story developing nicely without getting too far fetched for the first two parts of this book. Then when it changes to the wife's perspective, it begins to drag and moves away from Doug and more on to the two (annoying) children. At least 50 pages too long this section,and whilst just as well written, removing Doug out of the equation derails the narrative. The final part, bringing everything to a conclusion feels rushed and not almost fully believable in the context of everything else, especially as the first half of the book was so faultless. I would still recommend however, and will be investigating the author's other works. ( )
  Ignatius777 | Aug 3, 2019 |
Is there a word for something which is one notch down from a masterpiece?

I reserve the M-word for a small handful of books that I have genuinely found to be life-changing, or which blew me away to such an extent that I still need to take deep breaths when thinking of them.

Preston Falls isn't quite that good, but it is bloody close.

Like Charles Baxter, Kent Haruf, Richard Yates and Anne Tyler, David Gates is able to capture the honest frustration and tragedy of a relationship in a few short words. He flits between male and female perspectives with ease and is equally convincing with both. I have had this book on my shelves for about five years or so and am kicking myself for leaving it so long to read it. I was a fool to do so.

Doug Willis is approaching 50 and is bored with his marriage and fed up with his kids. Funnily enough, his wife Jean has more or less had enough of him and the two children are too busy being vegetarian and a problem child to care less. So when Doug decides to spend a two month sabbatical at their summer home out in the sticks it seems to suit just about everybody. Until, that is, Doug gets arrested and finds himself involved in a small town drugs ring. Things really are going tits up.

Preston Falls is painfully well-observed, especially when it comes to those cruel inner thoughts we have about the ones we love but never dare utter out loud. Gates latches on to the harshness of ordinary lives, that ever-present sense of failure and paranoia, but does so with a glint in his eye. This stuff hurts as it is so recognisable, but it is funny too.

I now want to read everything he has written, always the highest praise I can have for a writer, although that only extends to one more novel and a collection of stories which I must confess I am a little disappointed about. ( )
  scottpack | Feb 18, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible