The Five Love Languages (1992)

by Gary D. Chapman

Dr. Chapman explains how people communicate love in different ways, and shares the wonderful things that happen when men and women learn to speak each other's language.

English (123)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (126)
There were parts of this book that were hard to get through being a non-religious person. If you can get past that, there is lots of helpful and insightful information in this book.

I read this a few months ago and it helped me make a couple realizations
- my fiance and I don't always communicate our love in the same way but that doesn't mean one loves the other more
- you may think you are showing your partner how much you love them but if you are not using their "love language" it may not be apparent to them

While we were not necessarily having relationship problems before, this book has helped our communication. Mostly it made me realize even though we show our love differently we both love each other the same. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
I listened to an abridged version of it and now would like to read the book. It makes a lot of sense and I'm going to try some things out. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
As far as writing style goes, I wasn't a fan...but I suppose he wanted to reach a wide audience beyond just snotty English teachers, so I can see why his syntax and word choice was rather simplified.

The content was interesting. My friend Peggy recommended this book to me, and it's definitely given me things to think about. I still am not sure what my "love language" is (I have it narrowed down to two, I think). If I ever do date someone again or even get engaged, I think this book would provide some interesting discussion. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
It's been a dozen years since I first read this, so I felt I was due for a reminder. These ideas have really influenced my understanding of affection and relationships, I highly recommend it. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Sounds good. Gave me some possible solutions for why some people I know have emotional blockage. And, let's not forget myself. That being said, I think that the first couple of chapters and the last couple of chapters should be required reading for parents. This might help the rising level of issues that are rising up with the second raised-by-tv generation. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Wir flogen 10.000 Meter hoch zwischen Buffalo und Dallas, als der Mann neben mir seine Zeitschrift vor sich in die Sitztasche schob, sich mir zuwandte und mich fragte: "Was machen Sie denn beruflich?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,753,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible