HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Charm School

by Susan Wiggs

Series: Calhoun Chronicles (Book 1)

An awkward misfit in an accomplished Boston family, Isadora Peabody yearns to escape her social isolation and sneaks aboard the Silver Swan, bound for Rio, leaving it all behind. Ryan Calhoun, too, had a good family name. But he'd purposely walked away from everything it afforded him. Driven by his quest to right an old wrong, the fiery, temperamental sea captain barely registers the meek young woman who comes aboard his ship. To the Swan's motley crew, the tides of attraction clearly flow between the two. Teaching her the charms of a lady, they hope to build the confidence she needs to attract not only their lonely captain's attention, but his heart, as well. For everyone knows the greatest charms are not those of the formal lady, but rather the possibilities of a new world built on love.… (more)

I cannot believe it took me TEN YEARS to circle back to this book. While I wish skimming down wasn’t a part of Isadora’s transformation into a swan, I did appreciate her as a BBW heroine. And I like that this story has the condemnation of slavery as a major feature - too many HRs romanticize the past instead of being honest about it. And I like the realistic development between Ryan and Isadora, he doesn’t fall into instalove, their romance feels realistic and beautiful. ( )
  Rhiannon.Mistwalker | Aug 19, 2022 |
While this was an interesting read I didn’t feel it was the best I’ve read by this author. ( )
  CandyH | Oct 6, 2021 |
Enjoyed this book: the feelings of a woman that does not meet her families Beauty standards, the crew of the ship realizing that Isadora could use their help and her taking it, the sense of humor of Ryan and his learning to be sensitive to her feelings, the encounters between Ryan and Isadora both when liking each other and their arguments, the strong belief of Ryan to correct slavery issues. Interesting to have an intelligent woman that her family supposedly loved her but not enough to truly help her in their own environment yet the crew could teach her. Nice settings of Boston, at sea and in Rio that each made the reader relate to being there. Enjoyed the love scene in Rio. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Yessss. Plain, chubby, super insecure spinster heroine. Lots of angst and self-discovery. Sweet. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
A read this on a depressing day when I really needed some optimism and escape. It was great to lose myself in a well written and entertaining historical. I like Susan Wigg's writing and look forward to seeing her at the RWAustralia conference in August 2011. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |

Susan Wiggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamorlette, Marie-JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
York, JudyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

The real offense, as she ultimately perceived, was her having a mind of her own at all.
--Henry James
The Portrait of a Lady
Being invisible did have its advantages.

Susan Wiggs is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,300,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible