Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur

Twelve Ordinary Men (2002)

by John MacArthur

Contrary to popular belief, Christians do not have to be perfect to do God's work. Look no further than the twelve disciples, whose many weaknesses are forever preserved throughout the pages of the New Testament. Jesus chose ordinary men: fisherman, tax collectors, political zealots; and turned their weakness into strength, producing greatness from utter uselessness. MacArthur draws principles from Christ's careful, hands-on training of the original twelve disciples for today's modern disciple.… (more)

Contrary to popular belief, we do not have to be perfect to do God's work. Look no further than the twelve disciples whose many weaknesses are forever preserved throughout the pages of the New Testament. Jesus chose ordinary men - fisherman, tax collectors, political zealots - and turned their weakness into strength, producing greatness from utter uselessness. MacArthur draws principles from Christ's careful, hands-on training of the original twelve disciples for today's modern disciple - you.
  BethelMQT | Mar 12, 2019 |
It is definitely a good read and I would recommend it to others with caution. Read it along with scripture so as to separate fact from speculation. There is too much speculation given as fact. Words like "seems" are used too often. There are many things we can assume based on the stereotypes of careers and culture, but not everyone fits into those molds. Also, Scripture only tells us what we need to know. We cannot assume things from Scripture that simply aren't there. It's hard to get full personality profiles based off of 2 or 3 verses. Overall, it is a pretty good read. ( )
  CandaJaen | Oct 26, 2016 |
John MacArthur uses principles from the training of the twelve disciples to encourage the disciples of today.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 23, 2016 |
Very interesting book. Fast read. Will use as basis for upcoming Bible study. However, a little wordy by about 15 percent. Thankfully, God still works through ordinary people! ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Very well done - helps us understand that God's people are ordinary people and with His shaping us, we can do great things. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
To Irv Busenitz, for his loyal friendship and devoted service over three decades. Irv is a true teacher and selfless servant who has faithfully invested his own life in the lives of other men who come to study at The Master's Seminary. Irv is the ideal model of both disciple and disciple-maker, having dedicated himself to fulfilling 2 Timothy 2:2: "The things you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."
Introduction
More than twenty years ago, while preaching through the Gospel of Matthew, I gave a series of character studies on the twelve apostles.

Chapter 1
From the time Jesus began His public ministry in His hometown of Nazareth, He was enormously controversial.
Do not combine with the Workbook.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,116,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible