Deception

by Amanda Quick

Fiction. Romance. Historical Fiction. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:She was an innocent beauty seduced by a pirate's kisses‚??and a gentleman's lies . . .

‚??[Amanda] Quick has provided an inviting little world of warmth, adventure, mystery, bouncy sex, and a (never oppressive) Regency setting.‚?Ě‚??Kirkus Reviews

From Seduction to Surrender and Reckless to Ravished, New York Times bestselling author Amanda Quick has spun one thrilling love story after another. Now, in her long-awaited hardcover debut, she introduces her most endearing heroine and compelling hero, in a dazzling, daring tale of lost pirate gold and legendary love. . . . De
… (more)

English (16)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (18)
Deception is the Quick novel that deceived me. I have been on a streak of good Quick novels, and this one had pirates, so it promised to be just as entertaining as the others. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to expectations. Normally, Quick includes a mystery in her novels that must be solved by a tenacious heroine and a brusque, intelligent, and loving hero. Unfortunately, the hero is ridiculous, the heroine an idiot, and the mystery pointless.

The heroine Olympia cares about only one thing: her "research". This research is supposedly about treasure and customs from different cultures around the world. Of course, the implications of this research being based on racist suppositions goes without saying. While this research of hers isn't really explored (thankfully), it was still painful to contemplate. Beyond this, Olympia is completely insipid. She can't tell she is on the verge of being assaulted, and she says multiple times that she cannot be bothered with anything beyond her research, so when Jared starts organizing her household and the education of the three boys she is in charge of, she starts to protest, but really. The woman forgot to pay her own servants. I swear she'd forget to get dressed. She was neither clever nor charming, neither insightful nor sweet. A very uninspiring heroine and the typical "book smart" heroine who has absolutely no common sense and no conversational skills whatsoever.

So, it's a complete shock when Jared just immediately falls in love with her on sight. Aside from his eyepatch, he wasn't a particularly memorable character. He had a propensity to order Olympia around, which annoyed me, and while she would protest, the protest would be swept away in the next chapter. He's a very typical hero for Quick, but usually her heroines will challenge his bossiness and put him in his place, but Olympia seemed like a mockery of a heroine. Her protests held no weight, and so Jared's demands seemed completely reasonable because she was just so flighty.

They mystery is what kept me hanging on, and the promise that they would travel to a remote island to unearth a treasure. I'm sorry to say that the mystery is essentially a red herring, and the story was a whole lot of nothing. I know I'm mostly being hard on the heroine, but I honestly do find the trope of a woman who is book smart but lacks all common sense to be insulting and sexist. The heroine can't be too perfect or readers won't relate to her, but Olympia wasn't really book smart or street smart. She was just stupid, but the universe of Deception really wanted to convince us she was an intelligent and accomplished woman. As a result, this book was really quite dreadful, I'm sorry to say. ( )
  readerbug2 | Nov 16, 2023 |
  archivomorero | May 21, 2023 |
This book had all of the things that should have interested me: an absent-minded, naive, intellectual heroine and a dashing Earl pirate. And I wanted to like this Regency romance. The earl was amusing as he masqueraded as a tutor. The romance parts felt contrived somehow, even the "steamy" parts. I expect better of Amanda Quick's novels.

Recommended for the completist. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Mar 22, 2022 |
2.5 stars rounded up to 3. This was a bit below average, but it ended up not being too painful, so I'm rounding up. The heroine was apparently a trilingual code cracker, but also entirely oblivious to almost everything else, and generally poor at handling anything else. She's also convinced that studying some texts from around the world makes her a worldly person when she's just not. All together it made her seem kind of simple for my tastes, but it's far from the worst I've seen. Those shortcomings also sort of opened up a space for the hero to fulfil kind of a fatherly role, I guess, which isn't really my thing either. But they weren't too bad otherwise. The book was longer than it needed to be, and kind of slow moving. But overall the plot was okay I guess. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Bleh . . . Olympia Wingfield, spinster academic in England unknowingly on the trail of a secret. Jared Chillhurst, cold calculating businessman cum pirate from the Caribbean. Dialogue stilted with lots of elliptical, breathy lines. Totally out of sync with the Olympia's supposed intelligence. ( )
  klandring | Nov 8, 2020 |

Selsdon, Esthersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varga, Mónikasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verbeek, Annemariesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rebecca Cabaza:
An editor who understands the romance,
It's a joy to work with you.
"Tell her to beware the Guardian."
Jayne Ann Krentz writing as a Amanda Quick

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,965,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible