Die for Love (1984)

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Jacqueline Kirby (3)

The annual Historical Romance Writers of the World convention in New York City is calling to Jacqueline Kirby, a Nebraska librarian who desperately desires some excitement. But all is not love and kisses at this august gathering of starry-eyed eccentrics and sentimental scribes. As far as Jacqueline is concerned, the sudden "natural" death of a gossip columnist seems anything but. And when she's approached by a popular genre star who fears for her own life, the resourceful Ms. Kirby quickly goes back to work...as a sleuth. There's a sinister scenario being penned at this purple prose congregation. And when jealousy and passion are released from the boundaries of the printed page, the result can be murder.… (more)
    Strangled Prose by Joan Hess (BonnieJune54)
    BonnieJune54: Both are light mysteries involving romance novelists and written in the 80's.

I enjoy Jacqueline as a character. She is smart, sassy, and not young like typical heroines. She knows what she wants, and she generally gets it. ( )
  Muhrrynn | Jul 11, 2019 |
Jacqueline Kirby is a librarian in Cold Water, Nebraska. She is 40 something and looking for a change. She takes a trip to New York for a Historical Romance Writers convention and naturally uncovers a mysterious death. She also discovers that she could write historical romance and make money. The author makes the mystery a fun satire of romance writing.
  taurus27 | Apr 25, 2019 |
I admit, this one makes me giggle. I like romances and this plays with the genre's worst tropes. I love how Jacqueline's romance story changes as she goes through the convention's seminars. The mystery heads the way I expected, but it was fun getting there. All the clues are there; for once I guessed right.

If you like cozy mysteries, you might like this. If you like cozies and have flirted with the romance genres (and aren't too serious about them), I think you'll love it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Nov 8, 2016 |
Published in 1984. Not a sterling entry in the Jacqueline Kirby series. Peters is going for satire, I think, but it falls flat.
(book description from Amazon) The annual Historical Romance Writers of the World convention in New York City is calling to Jacqueline Kirby, a Nebraska librarian who desperately desires some excitement. But all is not love and kisses at this august gathering of starry-eyed eccentrics and sentimental scribes. As far as Jacqueline is concerned, the sudden "natural" death of a gossip columnist seems anything but. And when she's approached by a popular genre star who fears for her own life, the resourceful Ms. Kirby quickly goes back to work...as a sleuth. Because there's a sinister scenario being penned at this purple prose congregation. ( )
  susanamper | Sep 8, 2012 |
As a mystery it was okay, with some interesting moments, and lots of quirky characters. But I was never sure that the satire on the romance industry was entirely intended through-out, much of the time it seemed that the regular bits of the mystery story and those characters were falling into many of the same tropes that were being winked at in the romance genre. ( )
  doxtator | Mar 7, 2010 |
"When Blaze awke she found herself lying on a silken soft surface amid the seductive scent of strange perfumes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,867,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible