Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney

Llama Llama Mad at Mama (2007)

by Anna Dewdney

"Llama llama Mad at Momma" is a book where the main character goes on a shopping trip with their mom, and gets angry when they don't get their treat. This story is one of teaching little ones how important it is to recognize emotions, and how those emotions can influence peoples actions. This book is also very good at subtly introducing the concepts of commas, rhyming, and onomatopoeia, as well at normalizing the routine of shopping. I would read this to kindergartners, and have them then talk to each other about what emotions they feel in doing certain activities, and how that emotion affects them. ( )
  lauraf3 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book is about a little llama who is mad at mama because she's making him go to the store with her. He throws a tantrum because his mama isn't paying attention to him and finally gets her attention. Mama explains to him that she doesn't love going to the store either but at least she gets to spend time with her baby!!

This book is super cute and I love the message it sends! I think this book would be awesome to read to kids who usually throw tantrums because it would explain to them a little bit better why they have to run errands with their mom or dad.
  Hayleykeyser | Dec 4, 2018 |
In this story the young llama is mad at his mom. He is mad because he has to go grocery shopping with her and he does not like to do that. The young llama is not of age to stay at home alone. He also becomes more mad when he is at the store and his mom is not paying attention to him because she is busy shopping. He then begins to throw a tantrum in the middle of the grocery store. This then gets his mother's attention. When I read this book I found it too relatable to my childhood. There were many times where I would have to go the store with my mom when I didn't want to because I didn't like to go. I then would tend to have an attitude with her about having to be at the store with her. Therefore, as I was reading this book I understood where the llama was coming from. ( )
  cconsolian | Dec 1, 2018 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 9, 2018 |
This book is about a young Llama that is getting upset at his mom for all the errands they have to run. He finally has enough and throws a tantrum in the store. After the mom calms him down, she explains that she doesn't want to run all the errands either. However, they were spending time together and they should figure out a way to make the errands (and time together) more fun. In the end, the llama is happy again and enjoyed the day with his mom.

This book would be a great example of turning a bad situation into a good one. We all have things in life that we don't love doing, but some things just need to be done. So, we must have a positive attitude and look for enjoyment in all things.

This book would be ideal for Pre K- 2nd grade
  MeganMck | Jan 17, 2018 |
For Cordelia, my shopping buddy
Llama Llama having fun.

I really like this book because of the great illustrations and rhyming that the author uses. All of her books are very appropriate for prekindergarten as she touches on social emotional development and learning. Additionally, these books relate to young children’s lives and open the door for meaningful discussion that can promote higher order thinking skills and build on strategy development. The rhyming is also a good tool and strategy for fostering the language development as will pre-reading and writing skills in young children. In a large group the teacher and students can make a large list of the words that they found in the story that rhyme.

Yucky music, great big feet.

Ladies smelling way too sweet.

Look at knees and stand in line.

Llama Llama starts to whine.

Does any child like to go shopping? Not Llama Llama! But Mama can’t leave Llama at home, so off they go to Shop-O-Rama. Lots of aisles. Long lines. Mama is too busy to notice that Llama Llama is getting m-a-d! And before he knows it, he’s having a full-out tantrum! Mama quickly calms him down, but she also realizes that they need to make shopping more fun for both of them. Parents and children are sure to recognize themselves in this fun-to-read follow-up to the popular Llama Llama Red Pajama.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

A young llama wants to play but must go shopping with his mother instead, and so he gets angry and makes a mess at the store.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible