The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (2002)

by Patrick Lencioni

Series: Leadership Fables

After her first two weeks observing the problems at DecisionTech, Kathryn Petersen, its new CEO, had more than a few moments when she wondered if she should have taken the job. But Kathryn knew there was little chance she would have turned it down. After all, retirement had made her antsy, and nothing excited her more than a challenge. What she could not have known when she accepted the job, however, was just how dysfunctional her team was, and how team members would challenge her in ways that no one ever had before. In this book, the author turns his keen intellect and storytelling power to the fascinating, complex world of teams. Kathryn Petersen, DecisionTech's CEO, faces the ultimate leadership crisis: uniting a team that is in such disarray that it threatens to bring down the entire company. Will she succeed? Will she be fired? Will the company fail? The author's story serves as a timeless reminder that leadership requires as much courage as it does insight. Throughout the story, he reveals the five dysfunctions that go to the very heart of why teams, even the best ones, often struggle. He outlines a powerful model and actionable steps that can be used to overcome these common hurdles and build a cohesive, effective team.… (more)

English (56)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (58)
Starts with a fiction team that is not working way and showing them their shotcoming and helping them through them with various games. Then is the non-fiction part explaining pretty much the same. It can be a good starting point and gives some good insights. ( )
  Aira322 | Aug 1, 2022 |
A short, relatable read on how good teams might work. ( )
  eatonphil | May 8, 2022 |
Published in 2002, this book is still totally relevant in 2019. Every leader in every organization I’ve ever worked for needs to read this book. Heck, every person in every organization I’ve ever worked for needs to read this book whether you are a leader or not. I promise you will see yourself in the examples represented.

What I liked most about this book was that 90% of the book was a story. You were reading what to do or what not to do in the form of a story. You were seeing in the story the model of what to do. So, it read like a fiction novel. The leader of the company in the story was a woman. For me, that made it easier to “see it in action” per se. The last 10% of the book was actually more of the typical leadership business book.

Some reviewers said the characters in the book were cartoonish and full of childish melodrama. But, to me, it was accurate as I work with people like this daily and always have no matter the company. An easy read as I read it in a few hours. ( )
  WellReadSoutherner | Apr 6, 2022 |
This is a "fable" in which a company gets a new top administrator who realizes that some of the failings of the business come from top brass not working together as a team. I appreciate how instead of being a book of just do this, do that, etc., the author chose to make this a story that showed how to have good leadership skills. My one complaint is that is clearly designed much more for corporations than nonprofits, although lessons for the latter could still be gleaned. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 12, 2022 |
The way this book presents it's theory i the form of a fable makes it an entertaining read, even though it's pretty sad to note that I've seen all these dysfunctions in the wild. It does give me a framework for talking about them, which would be so much more helpful if it was shared by others. So, to the people on my teams, go read this. ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |

Patrick Lencioniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nobel, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dad, for teaching me the value of work.

And to Mom, for encouraging me to write.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,084,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible